1.04.17 made my d-link wireless network adaptor stop working

yes, that’s why i switched to the mac mini setup for my main tv and will utlize the wdtv live in my bedroom.  i’ve been very ahppy with the wdtv live for the last year but now i can download directly to the mac mini and external without having to transfer and wait for the wdtv live to find the external…  impatient american!

well i was able to load the older firmware so now the WDTV live PLUS recognizes the WDA-131 wireless adapter but it can’t find my home wireless signal!!  but i was just upstairs in the bedroom with my macbook and the signal was full bars, and my iphone also has signal and my mac mini connected to the TV also has a fine signal.  and to make matters worse, the WDTV live plus with the WDA-131 wireless adapter is finding my neighbors wireless signals!!!

WTF?!?!?

Do a full factory restore.  

Network settings can get jammed up when bouncing between versions of FW.

thx!

nope.  did a hard reset, reset to factory defaults, cleared wireless login info  when i do search for wireless networks mine is still not showing up.

ARGH!

Ahh.  Just noticed something else.   If it can see your NEIGHBORS but not YOURS, are you BROADCASTING your SSID?   

i’m not sure.  i know my wireless router is password protected though.

fyi i have a Linksys WRT160N v.1 router and when i had the WDTV live in my living room (about 25ft from the router) it recognized my wireless setup.  but since i moved it upstairs, did the firmware upgrade and now backed up to the previous firmware it can’t seem to find it.

thanks!

That’s something you’ll need to determine. 

If your SSID *is* broadcasted, then the WD should find it (since it’s finding your neighbors’)

If your SSID is *not* broadcasted, then you’ll have to key it in in MANUAL mode, because it won’t be able to discover it on its own.

If it was working before, it might have saved the configuration as a preferred network, which has since been wiped.

Your WRT160N configuration will be where you want to look for that.

i’m in my router configuration and under basic wireless settings SSID is enabled

standard channel is AUTO

radio band is 20 MHz

network mode is mixed >  should that be N-only since the WDA-131 is N router?

securoty mode is WPA2 Personal

wireless MAC filter is disabled

anythig else i should be looking for?

you say SSID is enabled, but is BROADCAST SSID enabled?

Other than that, all your settings look normal enough…  I don’t see anything that needs to change…  N ONLY would be good if you don’t have *ANY*  802.11b / 802.11g devices on your network…

For SSID BROADCAST, Here’s what it looks like on my router (may be similar since yours is Linksys also)

Mine only says Basic Wireless Settings (not 2.4GHZ or 5GHz like yours)

but yes SSID Broadcast is enabled

Ok, a couple of other things to try, all with respect to the router.

•  If you haven’t done so already, try just rebooting your router.

•  Change the channel from AUTO to a SPECIFIC channel.  Use ONLY 1, 6, or 11 (not 2-5 or 7-10).

•  Change the SECURITY to NONE.  

See if ANY of those work for you.

If it’s the SECURITY one, just change it to something that does work, and we’ll go from there.

ok, i swithced over to channel 6, and the WDTV live plus found my network, i logged in, was able to access my network shares briefly but it wouldn’t stream an .mkv file or an .avi file.

restarted WDTV live and am in network settings now.  it has my network settings all correct, the password is entered but when i try and connect to network shares now I am getting “unable to obtain IP address” error

I went in and did the check network settings and everything came back with a check mark.  my network settings are showing 4 bars when it’s connected to my network.

now it’s working.  streaming an .mkv file, lets see if it supports it or stutters.

thank you for your assistance Tony!

(* mopping my brow *)

I’m Glad we got you through this!

Now, there’s something you might want to know.

If you choose a MANUAL channel, you might want to survey your surroundings to find out which channel is the least crowded (since you can see your neighbors!)

If your laptop or Mac Mini or whatever shows the signal strength and channels for your neighbors, then this is what you do:

SHUT OFF YOUR WIRELESS ROUTER FIRST.

Then walk around your house with your laptop and see WHICH channel is the WEAKEST, or vacant.

Again, the ideal channels are 1, 6 and 11, but if you have silly neighbors that are using channels in between, then just keep in mind that channels overlap by 2 on BOTH sides.

(example, channel 3 overlaps channels 1 through 5, and channel 6 overlaps 4 through 8!)

Once you have a clear channel decided, then use that one.

1 Like

most appreciated!  I’ll do that tomorrow when it’s a little warmer outside!

No no no.  Stay inside. :slight_smile:   You don’t need to cruise the street; just find out what’s weakest INSIDE your house.  

1 Like

I got same problem as many here in forum with setting up wireless network with HD TV Live Hub. Connection were unstable and shared disk got disconnected from PC

Actually as   TonyPh12345 mentioned in this tread - in case you have trouble with stable connection - need to change  router settings.

I had Linksys WRT54GH  router and found solution for it  on Linksys support  Check this link

After I followed those instruction - connection became very stable.

I assume - that similar cure should work for others too.

P.S. First of all start with changing channels - I used 11 channel.

I am using D Link DWA-125 adapter with D Link Router DIR-300 and it is working OK after new FW upgrade.

If you want to see what WiFi channels are in use around your location then put this on your laptop / computer.

After running the program you can then decide on the best channel to set your WiFi without interference from your neighbours.

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider

inSSIDer is FREE, open-source Wi-Fi scanning software

How can inSSIDer help me?

• Inspect your WLAN and surrounding networks to troubleshoot competing access points
  • Track the strength of received signal in dBm over time
  • Filter access points in an easy-to-use format
  • Highlight access points for areas with high Wi-Fi concentration
  • Export Wi-Fi and GPS data to a KML file to view in Google Earth.
  • Filter through hundreds of scanned access points