1.01.17 Bricked My Unit

My unit offered me the 1.01.17 update yesterday via wired internet which I accepted as the last update (at switch on from new) went well without problems. After the usual reboots it all looked okay and reported the correct firmware in the “About” menu. However, I could not connect to any network shares or the internet. I then found that System Settings reported no Mac Address (00.00.00.00.00.00) so it seemed that it could not see a LAN port. I reset the unit to Default Settings via the menu and then lost my Component output so had to go and get a composite monitor to see what was going on. A right pain. No difference with no Mac address. I loaded the Firmware version 1.0.11 using the VER edit trick (via USB) to find still no Mac Address. So I hardware reset using the side button by USB port. This brought back the Mac Address but unit was not picking up IP address from my DHCP server. I had to reboot my router to get this working finally which was another pain as I have two web sites and an FTP sever running which all had to be taken offline, along with other NAS devices that I have running. So, I will think very carefully before accepting those web update offers in the future…

My unit died too.

It was working fine until it prompted me to upgrade my firmware via internet.  Now it’s dead.  I’ve had it for 32 days, and my warranty only covers up to 30.

Needless to say, I am extremely upset that through the lack of proper testing and from no fault of my own, the unit freezes as others have experienced here.

I have no idea what sort of options I have now.

If you follow my post (above) and perform the actions I did by going back to previous Firmware, you should get your unit back.