1.0.1.24 FF / RW Resume playback on MKV files


#1

Does anyone know if 1.0.1.24 firmware fixes the problems with playback of MKV files?  Can it fast forward, rewind and resume playback on .mkv files.  Also does it play .m4v files?


#2

From what i’ve read in other posts (I prefer my content in standard definition to save on disk space) they fixed many of the issues with mkv’s but not all of them. You would need to test your specific video to see if the issues you were having were resolved. I think I read that the ff/rw bug was fixed though.


#3

I never had much trouble with FF or RW on MKV files but I just tested it and it seems more solid now (even with x16 RW).  Plays back from wherever you press play (used to jump around a bit using 0.17 firmware).

Sadly, although it plays M4V containers (always did?) there is still no support for FF/RW or for multiple audio tracks.  No change there.

If you have any M4V files, simply rename the extension to .mp4 as they’re the same thing (except the WDTVLive has much better support for MP4).

Speaking of MP4, just tested a number of MP4 files that previously exhibited audio sync issues with 0.17 firmware and are now working fine using the new 0.24 firmware.  

On the downside, the WDTVLive is still down-mixing AC3 5.1 to stereo for MP4 containers (same streams in an MKV container works fine, so it’s definitely an MP4 bug).

Overall, given that YouTube login is fixed and MP4 audio sync seems better, I’d recommend updating.  Only bad point with the YouTube update is that it enforces content blocking for TV devices if the content provider specifies it.


#4

PixelPower wrote:

 

 

On the downside, the WDTVLive is still down-mixing AC3 5.1 to stereo for MP4 containers (same streams in an MKV container works fine, so it’s definitely an MP4 bug).

 

Overall, given that YouTube login is fixed and MP4 audio sync seems better, I’d recommend updating.  Only bad point with the YouTube update is that it enforces content blocking for TV devices if the content provider specifies it.

It appears that it is only recently that ac3 has been added to the mp4 spec. Therefore there is a large likelihood that the mp4 files that you have created are non-standard.


#5

richUK wrote:

 

It appears that it is only recently that ac3 has been added to the mp4 spec. Therefore there is a large likelihood that the mp4 files that you have created are non-standard.

 

Thanks!  I was not aware of this and will look into it.  :)

I’m using the latest Handbrake (0.9.4), any idea if that’s compliant?


#6

PixelPower wrote:

 


richUK wrote:

 

It appears that it is only recently that ac3 has been added to the mp4 spec. Therefore there is a large likelihood that the mp4 files that you have created are non-standard.

 


 Thanks!  I was not aware of this and will look into it.  :)

 

I’m using the latest Handbrake (0.9.4), any idea if that’s compliant?

see my post here

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/WD-TV-Live-version-1-01-24-Firmware-Update/m-p/9796#M3643


#7

I have no troubles doing any of the things mentioned:

fast forward, rewind and resume playback on .mkv files.

I have yet to upgrade my firmware since I purchased the WDTV Live. I have 2 set up in the house wireless and can stream both at the same time with say 2 different 10 gb .mkv files. If I stop the movie I can resume where I left off.

Is it the firmware that is causing the problems?