Unable to display movie sheets with DarkLight Theme on SMP from media on network

G’day from Perth, Western Australia.

First please let me say how glad I am to find such an active and helpful community here. I have for years tried to find that perfect Media Center and have tried setting up PCs and Xbox360 and other boxes for the job and until a week ago when I bought a WD TV Live Streaming unit I didn’t think I would ever find that perfect solution.

I spent a week trying to get Windows 8 to play nice with WDTV Live SMP and at the end bought a ShareCentre NAS box with two Three TB NAS WD Drives to go inside with, one to house TV Series and the other to house the rips from my Blurays.

After spending a week going through google, Youtube and reading these forums I have downloaded and setup Media Cener Master, and ThumbGen. I have downloaded the wodnerful DarkLight theme but I still can’t get the SMP to show any movie sheets and would really appreciate some help.

My Media is sitting on two shared network drives off the network whcih SMP can easily access. I also have a 500Gb external WD drive attached to the SMP for photos and music.

After the latest update the firmware is now 2.01.86

Model: WDBGXT0000NBK-AESN

P/N: WDBGXT0000NBK-12

The structure of the movie drives is:

Movies < – Folder Name at root level

3 Days to Kill (2014) [Action-Adventure] < – Movie folder

.wd_tv < – Not created by me

3 Days to Kill (2014) [Action-Adventure].jpg

3 Days to Kill (2014) [720p] [PG-13] [Action-Adventure].mkv

3 Days to Kill (2014) [Action-Adventure].xml < – created by Media Centre Master

3 Days to Kill (2014) [Action-Adventure]_sheet < – created by Thumbgen

3 Days to Kill (2014) [Action-Adventure]-trailer < – created by Media Center Master

backdrop < – created by Media Center Master

backdrop1 < – created by Media Center Master

backdrop12 < – created by Media Center Master

movie.xml < – created by Media Center Master

Some Folders also have an extra file

basic_movie_info.xml  < – created by Media Center Master

I am not really sure what I am doing wrong that the movie sheet is not displaying. I understand the default theme doesn’t support it but DarkLight theme does support movie sheets.

I greatly appreciate any help and advise. I really want to keep the media on the network because I have two WDTV Live boxes in different rooms and want them to access the same media.

Thanks again for all your help in advance and have a great day!

3 Days to Kill (2014) [Action-Adventure].jpg (****must be the same name as the media file)

3 Days to Kill (2014) [Action-Adventure].xml < – created by Media Centre Master (must be the same name as the media file)

3 Days to Kill (2014) [Action-Adventure]_sheet < – created by Thumbgen (must have a file extension .jpg and have the same**** name as the media file)

Wrong.

Should be…

3 Days to Kill (2014) [720p] [PG-13] [Action-Adventure].jpg

3 Days to Kill (2014) [720p] [PG-13] [Action-Adventure].xml < – created by Thumbgen

3 Days to Kill (2014) [720p] [PG-13] [Action-Adventure]_sheet .jpg < – created by Thumbgen

Thumbgen generates the Correct XML Format for the WDTV

Inside …  3 Days to Kill (2014) [720p] [PG-13] [Action-Adventure].xml

there MUST be a tag to reference the Moviesheet … which Thumbgen will generate. (Media Centre Master does not generate a backdrop tag to local moviesheets) eg.

** 3 Days to Kill (2014) [720p] [PG-13] [Action-Adventure]_sheet.jpg**

An example of how the entire (correctly formatted) XML should look like … (based on my movie named 3 Days to Kill.mkv)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
  3 Days to Kill   3 Days to Kill   A dangerous international spy is determined to give up his high stakes life to finally build a closer relationship with his estranged wife and daughter, whom he's previously kept at arm's length to keep out of danger. But first, he must complete one last mission - even if it means juggling the two toughest assignments yet: hunting down the world's most ruthless terrorist and looking after his teenage daughter for the first time in ten years, while his wife is out of town.   2012-02-12   A dangerous international spy is determined to give up his high stakes life to finally build a closer relationship with his estranged wife and daughter, whom he's previously kept at arm's length to keep out of danger. But first, he must complete one last mission - even if it means juggling the two toughest assignments yet: hunting down the world's most ruthless terrorist and looking after his teenage daughter for the first time in ten years, while his wife is out of town.   113   [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9q8qndzEKs](/t5/forums/editpage/board-id/streaming_discussions/message-id/)   6.2   PG-13   tt2172934   PG-13   Action   Crime   Drama   Thriller       Kevin Costner         Amber Heard         Hailee Steinfeld         Connie Nielsen         Richard Sammel         Tómas Lemarquis         Eriq Ebouaney         Big John         Bruno Ricci         Jonas Bloquet         Marc Andréoni     McG   EuropaCorp / Relativity Media / 3DTK / Feelgood Entertainment / Paradise/MGN / Wonderland Sound and Vision   3 Days to Kill\_sheet.jpg     3 Days to Kill.mkv   N/A

Also, important … Metadata Movie Info and Moviesheets Do NOT display for “folders”

ie. If you have each of your movies in individual folders … when you hover of it the Moviesheet will Not Display.

Only when you press “OK” on your remote and enter the folder will you see the Moviesheet Display (in Gallery View)

G’day mate, and thanks for your prompt reply. You are ofcourse right, this one particular movie had file names that didn’t match, I used Media Centre Master to rename them all and the new folder looks like this:

.wd_tv < - Folder

3 Days to Kill (2014) [Action-Adventure].mp4

3 Days to Kill (2014) [Action-Adventure].xml

3 Days to Kill (2014) [Action-Adventure]_sheet.jpg

3 Days to Kill (2014) [Action-Adventure]-trailer.mp4

backdrop.jpg

backdrop14.jpg

folder.jpg

movie.xml

After adding the line

backdrop14.jpg

to the file: 3 Days to Kill (2014) [Action-Adventure].xml I am now able to see the movie sheet as a backdrop when I select the movie itself but am still unable to see the backdrop as I am browing the movies which is what I thought was suppose to happen. Am I wrong? Do I need to be modifying the firmaware do get that? Right now I have original firmware on both WDTV Live SMP boxes.

Thanks again for your help.

last bit of info i added to the post above (a few moments ago)

_ Also, important … Metadata Movie Info and Moviesheets Do NOT display for “folders” _

_ ie. If you have each of your movies in individual folders … when you hover of it the Moviesheet will Not Display. _

Only when you press “OK” on your remote and enter the folder will you see the Moviesheet Display (in Gallery View)

_   _

The only way to have “Moviesheets” display for folders is to use “Linksheets” but 1st you’ll need to a few things.

1. Run custom hacked firmware

2. Edit the Darklight Theme to enable Linksheet display

See my post here

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/WDLXTV-Moviesheets-Vs-Linksheets/m-p/660095#M27191

Thanks very much for your help again mate. I will follow the link and read all about it. Movies are all in their own folder for organisation sake. I am not sure if that is the best means of organising them if there are better ways I would love to know all about it.

Really appreciate your help. Would love to do everything to use the box to it’s full potential.

Some people use Genre folders

ie.

Sci-Fi  ---- Main folder

Tron Legacy.mkv

Tron Legacy.xml

Tron Legacy.jpg

Tron Legacy_sheet.mkv

X-Men First Class.mkv

X-Men First Class.xml

X-Men First Class.jpg

X-Men First Class_sheet.jpg

etc.

Me personally … i just have one folder named MOVIES and just throw all the files in there.

Both ways work fine with Moviesheets (of course there will be no sheet display for either Sci-Fi or MOVIES main folder)

If you choose the other way … individual folders for individual movies then you should use Linksheets.

Give me a few moments and i will mod the Darklight theme for Linksheet use and upload it.

All done, Darklight modded for use with Linksheets :smiley:

I included a sample Linksheet for 3 Days to Kill as a demonstration

So, your movie folder MUST be named exactly like this for the Linksheet to display

3 Days to Kill (2014) [Action-Adventure]

http://www.mediafire.com/download/wr8la0jio66t85k/Darklight.zip

have fun :smiley:

Thanks again for all the latest info mate. I have downloaded the latest version of DarkLight which included a linksheet and when I point to the 3 Days to Kill folder the background changes to the folder.jpg so it is working!

I have just looked on the Wiki Page for WDLXTV at: http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/Main_Page and according to this page my WD TV Live model WDBGXT0000NBK is not supported by this firmware at the moment so that leaves me with making these liniksheets which will then provide images as background.

Trying to follow your instructions I connected to the WDTV box on the network and logged in. I can see the following options:

System

Remote

Appearance

RSS

Support.

The System allows changing of password, Remote allows you to upload a new remote? Appearance is where I uploaded DarkLight to the box. I am not sure how to get the linksheets to the box as I don’t seem to find an option for it.

When I browse to the i.p. address of the WDTV Live box I see the following:

http:\192.168.0.6

Media

$RECYCLEBIN

.wd_tv

uniondb.cas_0090a9684923

wdtv.cas2

Music

Music files listed here

System Volume Information

IndexerVolumeGuid

I am really sorry to sound like a nube mate, I can make your PC do anything for you but I am very new to this box! Thanks again for your help in advance.

That “Wiki” is outdated… the forum link i posted in my reply to you contains

the workaround hack (by KAD79)

here’s the direct link if you missed it … http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8707

you will have to join that forum if you have questions or require assistance (only official firmware discussion is allowed here)

Quote: The System allows changing of password, Remote allows you to upload a new remote? Appearance is where I uploaded DarkLight to the box. I am not sure how to get the linksheets to the box as I don’t seem to find an option for it.

What on earth are you talking about ?   (did you read and understand the Linksheets explanation link i posted?)

Linksheets are in the THEME *zip   (extract the Darklight.zip i posted on your PC and you will see the Linksheet in there. look and you will see 3 Days to Kill (2014) [Action-Adventure]

On your PC rename it to 3 Days to Kill (2014) [Action-Adventure].jpg and you will see, it’s a backdrop picture … a Linksheet