TW: Darklight - Genre and Series Folder Icons

OK, I’m currently enjoying TinWarble’s Darklight theme.  He kindly pointed me in the direction of the .xcf files so I could edit and create my own folder icons. (So thank you for that TW).

However, having never used GIMP (which is what I’m using to edit the files) or PSP, there are just a couple of things I’m struggling with and I’m hoping some kind soul on here would be able to help.

Firstly, I’m struggling with creating the reflected part of the cover that appears at the bottom of the folder, I’m guessing that some sort of select, copy and flip manipulation is needed?  Secondly on the TV series can anyone explain how I could get the program title image to appear properly in the TV frame like TW has done on his Eureka, Burn Notice, Walking dead etc. I’m guessing (again) that it’s done through apply a mask of some kind?

I’m not going to be creating my own theme, I’m just wanting to keep the look of TW’s darklight theme consistent.  So if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.  Once again thanks to TW for creating such a great theme.

OK, I’ve managed to work out how to do the reflections part.

BUT, I’m still really struggling with the second part to do with TV series.  As it seems that this is such a great community and everyone seems to help each other.  I’m hoping someone, perhaps even TW could explain how it’s done.  So that it will enable me to keep the theme looking consistent.

Would really appreciate any help.

For the TV program image, you need to first grab the image that you want to use, then paste it as a layer.

Rotate it and scale it to the size you need for it to fit over the TV screen image, then select the layer (which is a just a black image) above the “TV” layer and right click on it, select “Alpha Selection”, then go to the menu bar and click on “Select” then “Invert”.  Then reselct your pasted image layer and press delete on your keyboard.

If you scaled and rotated the image correctly, that should be it.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply. It’s very much appreciated. I’m now well on my way with TV series and genre icons, although I do have one more question.

Is there anyway to change the colour of the text in the Season text layers, so it keeps it’s rotated position?  I can select the text and edit it, but then it needs to be re-rotated and positioned on the image (so this is what I’m doing at the mo, although it’s quite long winded).

I’ve tried several solutions that I found by searching the web, and they didn’t work.  I’ve tried searching on here, but couldn’t find the solution either.  I’ve even tried just messing about with GIMP options in general to no avail…

I’ve even tried using the season text.xcf and I’m still stumped.  It’s probably something really simple, or perhaps it can’t be done at all, but again help would be appreciate. :smiley:

If all you’re wanting to do is change the color, click on the “Colors” tab at the top, then “Color Balance” & use that to change the color.

The icons worked well for my direct attached USB-HDD. Now I connected to a NAS and don’t see the  “folder.jpg” any more.

Is there a trick (I think a separate XML is needed ) to show it and could somebody tell me how it is done with a NAS-media server ?

Well, nobody using a connected NAS and missing "folder.jpg"s  :dizzy_face: ?

If possible, the media libary should stay turned “off” …