New to themes, MOJO, etc. Looking for advice. On firmware 3.01.19

I’ve spent a lot of time reading, but am only getting more confused.  All I have when browsing movies (streaming from my windows home server V1) is a text display of the movie name.  So basically I need instructions on how content, themes, etc. are initially set-up.

I need help understanding where things need to be loaded, what I need to load, etc.

Or perhaps there is a thread you can point me to tha describes how to get started?

Thanks,

Mike

Sorry, I don’t own a HUB, but I do know a little bit about the HUB and themes…So I will share what I know.

Many theme developers are not working with the current HUB FW as it is not compatible with .PNG file type or the .JPG trick. So you may want to do a FW rollback to 2.07 FW I believe. Just google “Firmware rollback for Western Digital HUB” and that should bring up some info on the process. There is info available on loading themes to the HUB but I cannot give you precise info on that as I do not own a HUB. I know how to do it on the SMP.

When selecting a theme - decide if you want to generate sheets via Thumbgen or not. It’s a very easy piece of software to use. That way you can tweak what cover art you use, movie info and what templates you’d like to work with etc.

Tinwarble has an excellent Thumbgen guide for the Mojo available. (A text document and video on YouTube detailing the steps.) There is also documentation on the Thumbgen site. Just google “Thumbgen” it will be the first link. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help, but I’m writing this on my phone so not easy for me to dig up links.

These steps will be a good place to start/research.

1 Like

All theme’s must be put on the hub in the “.wd_tv  /  theme” folder. Dump the new theme folder in their.

Make sure you have “show hidden folders and files” turned on for your OS or you wont see the .wd_tv folder.

Then go to setting on the hub and you will see appearance and themes. Then choose your theme and apply.

There is nothing to set up on a theme, once you apply it… it just works if compatible with your firmware.

Mojo WILL work with 3.01.19. Mojo will NOT properly display a .png files tranparent layer properly using 3.01.19. This does not mean that a .png file will look all messed up, it just means that it will not show like it should.

I have 3.01.19 installed on my hub and have used  Darklight and am currently using Mojo and no problems. I just live without the reflections.

Thanks to all for replies.  Now I at least know where themes are to be placed and feel safe enough to continue.  I will stay at 3.01.19 since I have heard too many horror stories about “brickng” the player during downgrade.

Since my first question I’ve loaded thumbgen 1.2.9.0 and am now comfortable using it.  I’ve also found mojo 1.12.01(MS) which I will load to my WD today. 

I noticed my WDTV Live Hub gets info and builds fairly nice info screens for any movie I have placed on its internal drive.  This brought me to the following question (I haven’t tested this yet) – Can I place a movie on the hub HDU, let it pull the content/movie info, copy the files it adds to my server (windows home server V1) and then be able to see the movie/sheet info when looking at network shares from the WD?

THANKS !!

Mike 

FOLLOW-UP of my own …

Yes, it is possible to let the WD hub build 3 files which have box art, backdrop slides and information XML and then move that data into a WHS or NAS server structure and get all the movie information displayed in a nice mojo theme.  This technique, while time consuming, may also assure some level of immunity to WD FW updates since the files are gleaned by the WD itself.  You have to move each movie into the HUB briefly and let it build these files and it doesn’t get all of them until it has been un-plugged and started up again, but since I can’t get mojo to work right on WD FW 3.01.19 this is at least a work around that gives me good looking movie info and art screens with a rolling backdrop image from the movie.

Enjoy,

Mike