Movie Series sorting

What is the best way to have movies series’ sort in order of release rather than alphabetically.

I renamed the files like this which sorted within windows but not when generating in thumbgen and using gallery view.

Indiana.Jones.1981.Raiders.Of.The.Lost.Ark

Indiana.Jones.1984.And.The.Temple.Of.Doom

Indiana.Jones.1989.And.The.Last.Crusade

Indiana.Jones.2008.And.The.Kingdom.Of.The.Crystal.Skull

I also do not really like this naming scheme as it does not look right.

any other suggestions and more importantly how to do it with TG and gallery view so they are in order on the hub… dont care about windows order.

thanks

Great question Drizz, and one that I have been testing and searching for answer for to no avail. It’s been a while but if I recall correctly I was able to get my movies to order by year if I used folder view and had not run them through Thumbgen. I never got it to work for Galery View. I was attemptng to get all oft he James Bond movies in order by year and eventualy gave up. 

I came to a realization that I probabaly would not be able to get that to work on top of the linksheet theme I was running without the XMLs. 

Hopefully someone knows how to get this typoe of sort worked out. It would be a great option.

Let us know if you come up with a solve and if so, what theme etc you are running. I am not a coder at all, but have wondered if there was some place either in TG or in the theme that could direct it to sort by the year, then the name

-P

-P 

i am running Alaska non-LS

@drizzt09

File Sorting and Naming is not controlled by “Themes” it’s controlled by Firmware/Database/Tag Reading

As it stands, the WD is sorting them with standard Alpha/Numeric ordering system the same as a PC would.

Personally i just do this …

Resident Evil 1.mkv

Resident Evil 2 - Apocalypse.mkv

Resident Evil 3 - Extinction.mkv

Resident Evil 4 - Afterlife.mkv

Resident Evil 5 - Retirbution.mkv

i gave theme cause pearl asked. i knew theme didnt contol it.

but im not sure if its firmware or xml

Indiana.Jones.1981.Raiders.Of.The.Lost.Ark

Indiana.Jones.1984.And.The.Temple.Of.Doom

Indiana.Jones.1989.And.The.Last.Crusade

Indiana.Jones.2008.And.The.Kingdom.Of.The.Crystal.Skull

these above would work in same sence as your resevil example… and they do in windows. but not on the hub using folder mode in gallery view

i have tested when generating the xml with TG to rename movie title in TG

1. Indiana.Jones.1981.Raiders.Of.The.Lost.Ark

2. Indiana.Jones.1984.And.The.Temple.Of.Doom

3. Indiana.Jones.1989.And.The.Last.Crusade

4. Indiana.Jones.2008.And.The.Kingdom.Of.The.Crystal.Skull

i have not moved them over to the hub yet to test this theory

In theory then, the below should have worked but I was unable to get it to do so. Did I just have a filter set wrong?

1962.Dr.No
1963.From Russia With Love
1964.Goldfinger
1965.Thunderball

etc

The reason I had asked about the theme was that ones that use XML actually have a litany of data that the FW can read,  vs. LinkSheets where once the made you really only have the name of the movie and a jpg.

-P

pearl wrote:

In theory then, the below should have worked but I was unable to get it to do so. Did I just have a filter set wrong?

1962.Dr.No
1963.From Russia With Love
1964.Goldfinger
1965.Thunderball

etc

The reason I had asked about the theme was that ones that use XML actually have a litany of data that the FW can read,  vs. LinkSheets where once the made you really only have the name of the movie and a jpg.

-P

just note if XML tag exist WD will sort and display based on that title

but if XML tag existing linksheets will not work

I recently did some tv series

this is how I do them

Fringe S01E01 Pilot.m2ts

note 2 digits for both season and episode #

this puts everyting in the correct order

any similarly based number sorting would work for movies as well, as already stated by other above

ok so came home from work and checked

generating the xml with TG and rename movie title in TG before generating:

1. Indiana.Jones.1981.Raiders.Of.The.Lost.Ark

2. Indiana.Jones.1984.And.The.Temple.Of.Doom

3. Indiana.Jones.1989.And.The.Last.Crusade

4. Indiana.Jones.2008.And.The.Kingdom.Of.The.Crystal.Skull

shows in order on the hub… its dirty but it works