Messing with the menus

So I’m tentetively getting into changing my SMP to suit my needs, and am currently using the excellent Alaska Resurface theme. Many thanks to your hard work on that BTW Joey!

My question is general to all themes: is it possible to change the items in the main menu or others within the player?

There are two things I’m trying to do. First I’d like to remove unused items in the main menu. I’ve seen there are two .xml files that seem relevant (inc_option_menu_page_list.xml and inc_rv_home_menu_node.xml) but I’m cautious about messing with them before I know how they work. I was wondering if it was possible to take out items (eg. “games”) and if so, how?

My second request seems less likely to be possible. I currently use playlists for genres (as it allows for multiple genres and works really nicely) but would love it to be easier to change between folder and playlist views. Currently I must go through the “filter and sort” menu which feels a little clunky. I was wondering if I could edit the “filter and sort” menu to have only two options: folders or playlists.

Of course ideally I’d access all the genre playlists in folder view, as they’re already in a folder on the root of my drive. However, they don’t show up as they’re not “videos”. I guess if it was possible to change .m3u as an allowed extension would be great, but I’ve no idea where to start with that.

Many thanks for reading and any help greatly appreciated! 

There are two things I’m trying to do. First I’d like to remove unused items in the main menu. I’ve seen there are two .xml files that seem relevant (inc_option_menu_page_list.xml and inc_rv_home_menu_node.xml) but I’m cautious about messing with them before I know how they work. I was wondering if it was possible to take out items (eg. “games”) and if so, how?

Yes, in “inc_rv_home_menu_node.xml” delete the lines in green:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>                             <button valkey="RV_HOME_MENU_GAMES" name="Games" normal_bg="image/main_games_icon_n.png" focused_bg="image/main_Game_icon_f_001.png" disabled_bg="image/main_games_icon_n.png" animation_format_str="image/Games_icon_%03d.png" animation_num="21" />  

My second request seems less likely to be possible. I currently use playlists for genres (as it allows for multiple genres and works really nicely) but would love it to be easier to change between folder and playlist views. Currently I must go through the “filter and sort” menu which feels a little clunky. I was wondering if I could edit the “filter and sort” menu to have only two options: folders or playlists.

No.

1 Like

In Joey’s theme you need 6 menu items and menu item 7 will be the update button.

So you can delete games and ip cam and 2 other menu items without problems. If you remove too much, you will get a blank space on the left in the menu. So just copy the file first and if you remove too much, just copy and paste some code from your saved file.

@jackthe3rd

I gave assistance to someone who just wanted … VIDEO, MUSIC, SETUP and FILES on the main menu,

Works fine … No probs :wink:

The bare minimum menu items for the Home Screen is  1

Thanks for your help guys, will have a go!

@jhex6

Remember to be very carefull when making these edits … any " boo boo’s"

and the Hub will go into a endless “Reboot Cycle”.

Found this out on the 2nd day of purchasing the Live Hub.

But, here’s how to “Recover”

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Themes/Be-Carefull-Editing-Home-XML-S/td-p/146450

Oh Shiiiiiiiit!

I’ve got that exact problem, and can’t get onto the setup screen as you described. Should I be pressing “setup” lots of times as fast as I can (which hasn’t worked) or just once at the correct time?

Here’s my edited “inc_rv_home_menu_node.xml” file:

<?xml version="1.0"?> <wrapper> <button valkey="RV_HOME_MENU_IPCAM" name=" " normal_bg="image/main_ipcam_icon_n.png" focused_bg="image/main_ipcam_icon_f.png" disabled_bg="image/main_ipcam_icon_n.png"/> <button valkey="RV_HOME_MENU_NEW_FW" name=" " normal_bg="image/main_new_firmware_icon_n.png" focused_bg="image/main_new_firmware_icon_f.png" disabled_bg="image/main_new_firmware_icon_n.png"/> <button valkey="RV_HOME_MENU_SERVICES" name=" " normal_bg="image/main_services_icon_n.png" focused_bg="image/main_services_icon_f.png" disabled_bg="image/main_services_icon_n.png"/> <button valkey="RV_HOME_MENU_SETUP" name=" " normal_bg="image/main_setup_icon_n.png" focused_bg="image/main_setup_icon_f.png" disabled_bg="image/main_setup_icon_n.png"/> <button valkey="RV_HOME_MENU_USERS" name=" " normal_bg="image/main_users_icon_n.png" focused_bg="image/main_users_icon_f.png" disabled_bg="image/main_users_icon_n.png" animation_format_str="image/user_icon_%03d.png" animation_num="1"/> <button valkey="RV_HOME_MENU_VIDEOS" name=" " normal_bg="image/main_videos_icon_n.png" focused_bg="image/main_videos_icon_f.png" disabled_bg="image/main_videos_icon_n.png"/> <button valkey="RV_HOME_MENU_FLASH" name=" " normal_bg="image/main_flash_icon_n.png" focused_bg="image/main_flash_icon_f.png" disabled_bg="image/main_flash_icon_n.png"/> <button valkey="RV_HOME_MENU_NOW_PLAYING" name=" " normal_bg="image/main_music_nowplaying_n.png" focused_bg="image/main_music_nowplaying_f.png" disabled_bg="image/main_music_nowplaying_n.png"/> <button </wrapper>

I think the very last “<button” shoudn’t be there, but I might have made more mistakes.

I’m feeling pretty stupid right now, my thread title couldn’t be more appropriate!

Any ideas how I can restore?

Rule 1 : DON’T PANIC

Rule 2: BE PATIENT … As the Hub is Re-Booting just keep tapping the “Setup” Button …

Speed of the Tapping is about the same as tapping your foot to the beat of Music.

Keep doing this … it may take 30-40 seconds of  gentle/consistant  tapping.

Rule 3: As soon as you see the Default “Mochi” Setup Screen … Stop Tapping !

Rule 4: Wait a few seconds, then select “APPEARANCE” and apply the “Mochi” Theme

Rule 5: Go to your PC and fix (or delete) the file you edited.

PS. It doesent matter where or when during the reboot procedure to be pressing the “Setup” Button

… just keep pressing … but NOT … Super Fast like Konami Hyper Olympics !

(otherwise you’ll miss the Mochi Setup Screen)

PPS. I had my Live Hub for about 2 Years … and crashed the Home Menu at least 50-60 times.

Pressing the “Setup” button procedure has worked every time.

Doesn’t work. I’ve tried regularly pressing the “setup” button at various speeds, and it’s not yet gone onto the setup screen.

One thing I’ve noticed is that sometimes it says “connecting” just before it reboots and sometimes it doesn’t. Seems to be unaffected by my tapping.

Actually starting to worry a bit now. I assume there’s no obvious way of factory resetting it or conecting to it?

How about ethernet cable?

PS: This is the SMP! Would that make a difference?

Thank god, I’m back on track!

I should have seached the SMP forum first, but when I did I followed the advise on this thread:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Discussions/WD-TV-Live-constantly-rebooting/m-p/369761#M6593

I didn’t even realise there was a reset button, but it worked a treat.

Thanks again Joey, I’m going to check my xml files a little from now on!

PS: This is the SMP! Would that make a difference?

Probably.

Apologies, my advice was for the Hub not the SMP.

I would try the “Reset Pin Hole” and see if that “Factory Resets” the Device. 

(it didnt work on the Hub, but maybe will work on the SMP ?)

Very Sorry, i’m outta ideas for hardware i don’t own :cry:

Cool, glad you’re back in business … sorry again, i click on Hub Themes Forum and tend to forget a lot of SMP owners populate this Forum as well.

I Guess, a SMP Themes Forum is too much to ask from this site. ? (yes, it’s been posted as a “New Idea” ages ago.)

Thanks for all your time so far today Joey, but now I’m back on track I was wondering about deleting more than four items.

I’m getting the same problem jackthe3rd mentioned earlier, which is that when I get rid of too many I get a blank space on the left and a weird glitchy feel when i scroll to the right.

You mentioned there might be fix for this?

animated scrolling icons (default behaviour) minimum 5 icons

non-animated scrolling icons (see. Aeonish Theme)  minimum 1 icon.

Alaska Light/Dark designed for animated scrolling icons (default behaviour)

any less than 5 ?

… requires a total redesign of Alaska Graphics and XML code (which i ain’t gonna do.) sorry.