Many metathumb by movie?

Hi all,

With the new firmware 2.02.32 on WDTV SMP, is it possible to use more than one metathumb (or jpg) by movie for display with a Mochi theme modified?

With the previous firmware, I used a trick for simulate that. I added a line in the Mochi theme for display “My_movie.metathumb” in 1280 x 720. This automaticaly generate a “.wd_tv\thumb\My_movie.thumb_1280x720” file. Next, I replaced that file with an overlay (transparent) picture (with some additional information like MPAA, IMDB rating) created with Thumbgen. Tip: To prevent the file is automatically replaced with the WDTV, the file date must be the same as the movie file.

The result was excellent. I could quickly navigate between movies with full information without the loss of the WDTV live functionalities (personal rating, favorite, backdrop).

Unfortunately, the new firmware don’t seems to use the ".wd_tv\thumb" for movies, just for folders.

Any clues?

Hi FrancisRoy00, I don’t have a lot of experience with the Mochi theme, maybe some of the other users can share some advice. 

Jubei04, thanks for your reply!

I want to clarify that my setup would work (before the 2.02.32 firmware) with any non-moviesheet theme.

Other advice?

If they have changed how the cache works (which seems to be the case) this can cause *tricks* to cease functioning.

Unless someone finds a workaround, the only options i can think of are … 1)  Use Linksheets instead or 2)  Rollback to Previous Firmware

Sorry :cry:

Thanks for your reply Joey!

Linksheets… According to your explanation “The File Path to Place Moviesheets is the Root of your Theme folder (ie. Where are all the XML files) .wd_tv\theme\My Theme\ [Place Movie/LinkSheets here]”, are you talking about the hidden folder in the root of the USB drive or a folder in the theme? On a WDTV Live SMP size for the theme is limited. :confounded:

FrancisRoy00 wrote:On a WDTV Live SMP size for the theme is limited. :confounded:

My Theme\ [Place Movie/LinkSheets here] Linksheets are placed in the root of the theme folder and zipped for the SMP

.wd_tv\theme\My Theme\ [Place Movie/LinkSheets here]  refers to the WDTV Live Hub theme location

7th post down  here *click*  gives a full description

SMP “Official Firmware” theme size is limited to 30MB

KAD79’s custom firmware … The theme runs off a thumbdrive (pick your size 2,4,8,16,32 gig)

http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8707

post custom firmware question on that forum…

1 Like

I prefer to stay with the official firmware. So that brings us back to my original question.

With the new firmware 2.02.32 on WDTV SMP, is it possible to use more than one metathumb (or jpg) by movie for display with a Mochi theme modified?

If I use linksheets, is that there is another variable that @@poster that I can use? The variable@@browse_text is a problem for me because it changes depending on the language (in my case, the French … “Escape Plan” becomes “Évasion”)? Do you know if WD plans to create a variable @@thumbnail = /movie_path/movie_thumbnail.jpg for example?

Thanks for your help!

FrancisRoy00 wrote:

___________________________________________________________________________________________> I wasn’t aware it possible (apart from cache manipulation i remember someone posting years ago) …

I’m not aware of any modifiction that allows more than one jpg

Linksheets are limited to “text” variables only  (which are then modified to “image” which then displays the linksheet)> WD are unlikely to create new variables. Myself and other Themers have been requested for years but to no avail.> Anyways, i can’t help any further sorry.  Will have to let someone else comment.> P.S. I still maintain, if you don’t have any luck… and there’s nothing crucial you must have in the new firmware … then rolling back to the previous firmwares will save a lot of frustration (and grey hairs)

1 Like

@Joey

I accept your last post is the solution. The only way is to rolling back to the previous firmware.

Thank you for your time!

For your information, I used the solution described by PGRated in this post.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/THEMING-ISSUE-FOLDER-THUMBNAILS/td-p/534270/highlight/true/page/4

With the 2.02.32 firmware, the WDTV does not use the thumbnail caching. So the trick no longer works. Shame, because it was possible to create a transparent image with Thumbgen and add information taken from IMDB for example, and everything was displayed instantly. It was a way to bypass the theme size limit on SMP.

WD, you do not help much themers improve the product. :cry:

FrancisRoy00 wrote:

For your information, I used the solution described by PGRated in this post.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/THEMING-ISSUE-FOLDER-THUMBNAILS/td-p/534270/highlight/true/page/4

With the 2.02.32 firmware, the WDTV does not use the thumbnail caching. So the trick no longer works. Shame, because it was possible to create a transparent image with Thumbgen and add information taken from IMDB for example, and everything was displayed instantly. It was a way to bypass the theme size limit on SMP.

WD, you do not help much themers improve the product. :cry:

I am mucking around with the cache at the moment.  I can get some thumbnails to cache the old way but not others.  I am trying to find out why some do and others don’t.

One thing that I have picked up on at the moment (it may not be the actual reason why) is it will not cache thumbnails with the extension “.jpg” but will cache thumbnails with the extension “.jpeg”.

Give me some time to work out why it only caches certain thumbnails and I will post back.

1 Like

PGRated wrote:

I am mucking around with the cache at the moment.  I can get some thumbnails to cache the old way but not others.  I am trying to find out why some do and others don’t.

One thing that I have picked up on at the moment (it may not be the actual reason why) is it will not cache thumbnails with the extension “.jpg” but will cache thumbnails with the extension “.jpeg”.

Give me some time to work out why it only caches certain thumbnails and I will post back.

I found something. I have many thumbnails that they appeared after I checked Pictures on my drive. All picture are “thumbnailed” like this

movie.mkv.overlay.png.thumb_154x154
movie.mkv.sheet.jpg.thumb_154x154

My setup is

movie.metathumb                        from TMDB

movie.mkv
movie.mkv.overlay.png                generated with THUMBGEN

movie.mkv.sheet.jpg                    generated with THUMBGEN
movie.xml                                     from TMDB