Wd tv play - won't play mp4, mkv, avi video from usb stick

plugged in my 16gb usb 2.0 stick to the wd tv play. it sees it and the files on it. but when I select a video file to play, mp4, mkv, or avi, it just shows the spinning arrow and never plays. Video files play fine on other devices like my samsung tv which plays video from usb sticks/devices plugged-in. I’ve even re-encoded the files using handbrake without any luck playing on wd tv play. Any ideas? fixes?

Thanks!

was reading the post lower down - guy talking bout false claims etc - crazy to read through but there was a link given which no longer works. http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=920#tab3 - for the video specs. Was interested in comparing my files and see if I can find something that might allow my vids to play from usb stick through the wd tv play.

also tried (for mp4 container) a h264 profile of main/3.2 and high/4.1 to see if that made a difference. still didn’t play. I don’t see anything else within this area to adjust/try - just wanted to add this detail.

Have you tried resetting the player to factory defaults.

I haven’t tried that. I will do that and report back. Thank you for the help!

I have WD TV live, i was working fine and i was use to play all files but suddenly it stop playing any file format even same file i use to play on it and it keep showing codec not supported other then that all function perfectly i even upgarde firame to latest one but still not find any solution, main problem is that same file i watch may time from my usb and portable hard disk they also not playing

post mediainfo about some of this file… you are secure it’s supported by WD TV Play ?

Greetings

I have this equipment short time and I have the same problem, but what I noticed.

If I am trying to play movie from 32GB usb stick that’s file system is vfat then 90% failed

although those are Xvid ( I am not codec expert, that saying the MediaInfo sw ).

and when the same movies are on USB HDD where must be NTFS then most of them I am able to play.

My conclusion is that this last firmware consist bug(s).

d.

The User Manual States (Page 6)

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705073.pdf

USB Storage File System Support

• NTFS
  • FAT/FAT32
  • HFS+

My conclusion would be, VFAT is the cause of the problem (since the files will play on a NTFS formatted drive)

well it might be reason, I’ll try format USB stick uder Windoze :wink: