WD TV Media Player VS WD TV live streaming

Hello,

I just recently purchased the WD TV media player and I am very happy with it so far. I did notice however that there is another player on the market, the WD TV live streaming. What is the difference between the two? I tried to look for WD TV live streaming on the WD website to make a comparison but could not find it.

I’d also like to know if there is any way to have Netflix with the one I currently own (WD TV media player). I have the latest firmware installed and everything is up to date but I still see no sign of Netflix. Should I have gone with the WD TV live streaming instead in order to get this feature?

If it makes a difference, I live in Canada.

Thank you in advance for your input!

John

The WDTV Live Streaming (SMP) is the older device released in 2011 *

The WDTV Media Player (Personal Edition) is the newer device released in 2014 and does not have Netflix.

(and AFAIK WD and/or Netflix currently have no plans for Netflix on this device)

As per the marketing: You don’t need another player for Netflix. You need a player for your personal stuff.
Most everyone has a device for playing Netflix. What these players don’t have is the ability to play your personal content in virtually any format. No reformatting. No jailbreaking. Just plug in, sit back and enjoy your stuff.

If you are not “most everyone” … then there are only 2 suggestions i can make for you to get Netflix

1. Buy the older (2011) WDTV Live Streaming (SMP)

2. or buy a Chromecast (which is a cheaper option)

http://www.amazon.ca/Google-Chromecast-Streaming-Player-Compatible/dp/B00DR0PDNE

Side Note: Removal on Online services is not always WD’s fault eg. “Vimeo” discontinued support for the WDTV

http://vimeo.com/forums/help/topic:119721

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD_TV#WD_TV_Live_Streaming_.28WD_TV_Live_3rd_Gen.29

1 Like

JoeySmyth wrote:

As per the marketing: You don’t need another player for Netflix. You need a player for your personal stuff.
Most everyone has a device for playing Netflix. What these players don’t have is the ability to play your personal content in virtually any format. No reformatting. No jailbreaking. Just plug in, sit back and enjoy your stuff.

I take jailbreaking refers to iOS devices? If so, they maybe shouldn’t break compatibility with its standard format MP4 as they have in 2.02.32. Just sayin…

I was just quoting the advertising on the Western Digital site …

Techflaws wrote:  I take jailbreaking refers to iOS devices? If so, they maybe shouldn’t break compatibility with their standard format MP4 as they have in 20.02.32. Just sayin…

Can you time travel ?   wow  :dizzy_face:   still not fixed in version 20.02.32!   :wink:

I know, I just think it’s sad that marketing would need a reality check.

I just happened to stumble upon this today, and quite annoyed with WD over this BLUNDER.

Like marketing tends to do (though I am sure marketing isn’t to blame for the change, they are just polishing the turd), they got it completely backwards.

There are TONS of playback devices on the market that now support DLNA and local media playback, only none do it (IMHO) as good as WD. With WD carrying Netflix, users could toss out, or simply not buy other devices. I have a WD TV Live on every TV in my home, streaming from a NAS. That is all I need, as the WD has every thing I need. Not only does the WD play just about anything, it has a gig port.

As other devices on the market catch up to WD in local content playback, I see users simply not purchasing new WD playback devices. Why would they?

Smh… why WD… why!?

The only WD with a GigE port is the WDTV Live Hub no matter what WD’s website says.

My switch negotiates the connection to all of my Live boxes at a Gig. Is the box not capable of receiving packets at that rate? What tells you it isn’t a gig?