No Netflix!

Hello All, I just brought a new WD TV player and no Netflix. It’s going back tomorrow.

1 Like

That’s old news

donaldsonjune wrote:
“If you fail to plan, you plain to fail.”

Yeah, and if you read up on devices prior purchase…

yes guys,

i burned an older unit out and brought a new one without getting the specs. i’ll only use it for dts ha ma mkv’s. but i need my netflix so i’ll try the roku 3.

@Donaldsonjune

Just to be clear you got one of the newer WD TV Player devices and not another WD TV Media Hub (w1TB of storage) right? I ask only because its been a few years since I last participated on the WD Forums or even looked at what was available in the WD MEdia devices family and I was shocked to see that the latest media device, the WD TV player seems to be “less” then its predecessor and I’m not referring to the lack of storage.

I could be wrong but it appears that the WD TV Player may not be able to play as broad a variety of content and it looks to have dropped Netflix which I thought was the #1 streaming service.

Does anyone know if there is a good review of the WD TV Player that is honest (in comparison of the older media devices) and not just a positive review designed to sell you on the WD TV Player?

Thanks

edcarden wrote: 

Does anyone know if there is a good review of the WD TV Player that is honest (in comparison of the older media devices) and not just a positive review designed to sell you on the WD TV Player?

Thanks

Well, myself being a recent owner of the WDTV Media Player (New Model - No Netflix - Don’t Care Netflix isnt Available in my Country) and also i own a WDTV Gen 1, WDTV Live (Gen2) and a WDTV Live Hub

The New WDTV Media Player does everything the old players do (but has more online services, miracast,new GUI “Grid:”,DTSMA, etc)

Can also run custom firmware (i’m currently testing a beta version :wink: lot’s of features … i like the UMSP feature … so, more online content)

Sure, people have reported mp4 problems … (probably 1 out of a few 100 that i’ve tested won’t play … a simple remux fixes the problem) but hopefully will be resolved in the next firmware release.

Here’s a couple of video reviews of features …

JoeySmyth wrote:

edcarden wrote: 

Thanks

Well, myself being a recent owner of the WDTV Media Player (New Model - No Netflix - Don’t Care Netflix isnt Available in my Country) and also i own a WDTV Gen 1, WDTV Live (Gen2) and a WDTV Live Hub

The New WDTV Media Player does everything the old players do (but has more online services, miracast,new GUI “Grid:”,DTSMA, etc)

Can also run custom firmware (i’m currently testing a beta version :wink: lot’s of features … i like the UMSP feature … so, more online content)

Sure, people have reported mp4 problems … (probably 1 out of a few 100 that i’ve tested won’t play … a simple remux fixes the problem) but hopefully will be resolved in the next firmware release.

Here’s a couple of video reviews of features …

Can you tell me what custom firmware you can run on these? I thought these were locked down.

Here’s the site/thread discussion for custom firmware (please join the forum and ask questions there if you wish)

http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8707&start=0

Note: it’s for the Live Streaming … not the *New* WDTV Media Player

I did get it working on the *New* WDTV Media Player (with a bit of editing)  :wink:

But, i’m testing a new Beta Version with new features at the moment … release TBA by the Developer

1 Like

I’m sure the custom firmware would be fine and all, but would it be possible for an OEM firmware that just has netflix on it, that could be installed and ran on the new wdtv. Whether its the SMP OEM firmware with netflix that could be installed on the new version, or the new OEM firmware with netflix added on it. 

There’s got to be a way to flash v2.02.32 to the new wdtv. Identical hardware and all… 

fenixt , i really think you are flogging a dead horse regarding getting Netflix on the newer device.

From what i understand how the WDTV’s handle Netflix …

Netflix is built into the DRM on the Micro Chip inside the WDTV boxes.

These DRM Micro Chips contain the Netflix encryption keys

So, Firmware or Software won’t magically enable a service … that requires DRM / Encryption keys to be present on the Chipset.

My advice, if you desperately need Netflix … you’ll have to purchase hardware that supports it.

Have at look on Ebay,Amazon for a cheap WDTV SMP, or Roku or PS3 … or anything that officially supports Netflix.

JoeySmyth wrote:

Here’s the site/thread discussion for custom firmware (please join the forum and ask questions there if you wish)

http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8707&start=0

Note: it’s for the Live Streaming … not the *New* WDTV Media Player

I did get it working on the *New* WDTV Media Player (with a bit of editing)  :wink:

But, i’m testing a new Beta Version with new features at the moment … release TBA by the Developer

Can you elaborate on what needs to be edited to get it to work? I tired a few things but still no luck.

Zevot wrote:

Can you elaborate on what needs to be edited to get it to work? I tired a few things but still no luck.

I answered your question on the wdlxtv forum  (for further questions please post there)

1 Like

The Streaming Media Player version (prior to most recent) also has the grid UI, miracast, and all the new services also with latest firmware. They also have Netflix.