Next WD TV wishlist

Was curious what everyone wishes for the next WD TV model? 

First, I hope they keep the same remote for the next model. It’s one of the most comfortable remotes I’ve held. Feels solid and not one of those dinky remotes with buttons that click. I think it pretty much has all the buttons you need in a media player. The only improvement I can think for it would be to be bluetooth, so line of sight wouldn’t be needed. 

Also hoping for more internal storage. 4-8gb I think should be plenty. Enough to where the WD can keep the metadata on itself, and not on the media drive. 

I know hundreds of android based players are out there, but usually they are either just a phone interface, or they are totally locked down and don’t do local media playback well, or just poor quality. I don’t think WD could go wrong putting their own GUI over android. Also being android, people could sideload apps (netflix, ect) if needed. Or their preference of media center software. It would still be a WD player with all the benifits of one, but just with android underneath to give more options. 

Small external antenna, just to increase range. 

As far as specs, I think dual core arm or whatever should be enough (bare minimum) with about 1gb ram. Nothing too exotic to keep price down, but functional. 

What do you hope for? What do you think it will end up being? Do you think they’ll even stay in the media player market?

1 Like

fenixt, 

Good suggestions… Sweet!!!

1 Like

All good suggestions, but I think they realized (my own idle speculation) that an internal hard drive is more trouble than its worth. Beside increased cost of manufacturing and supporting a hard drive that will fail, not having internal storage allows the user the flexibility to choose the size and type of storage, if any, they want to pay for, and they can easily defrag it at their leisure, unlike the current internal drives. And I say this as someone that loves the storage on his WD Hub.

My suggestion for a new device is:

1.) Netflix

2.) A faster CPU

3.) Netflix

4.) A stable, feature complete Youtube app

5.) Netflix

6.) A faster CPU and Netflix.

I would upgrade to this in a second.  

1 Like

I didn’t mean having a hard drive in it. I mean having 4-8gb of on board flash memory. I agree about Netflix. I don’t use it that much but it does feel like an incomplete player without it.

Gapless Audio Playback is top for me …

I’d Buy 4 devices staright away

My “wish” is that they’d finish the existing ones before creating a new one!  Hire a few Apple engineers to give the UI a makeover and then polish all the rough edges in operation…

1 Like

BGood2,

Most-Def, Dog, But use the “Old” Apple engineers.  The “New” ones seem to have gone “Hollywood”. :smiley:

My suggestion for a new device is:

1.) Netflix

2.) A faster CPU

3.) USB3 support

4.) Netflix

5.) Netflix

6.) did i mention Netflix?

cannot use this device without Netflix support.

I’d just like to see support for 3D and 4K formats.

HardwareWizard wrote:
6.) did i mention Netflix?

Yes, and it won’t happen.

I’m forever scratching my head over why I often cannot see MYBOOKLIVE media server on my Android upnp (eg bubbleupnp and arkdlna) clients.  I have to do a browser window to open up the access page and turn off and on the media sever. And then only certain browsesr at different times can get to the MBlL ip address.

But at tha same time I can access MBL on my network through the WDCloud app and its very useful for playing to WDTV and chromecast …  (except Android doesn’t seem to want to do anything with user playlists).

More direct WDTV/MBL player/managers would be nice.