Info about difference from the wd tv live smp 3°gen and the wd tv

I try to give the benefit of the doubt that maybe there’s something going on behind the scenes with licensing that they can’t release yet, etc., but reading the part about not having any plans to add Netflix gives me the feeling that I made a mistake in my tech investment.  I’m hoping its not because they climbed in bed with another company.

My first WD TV was the hub which I thought was the best thing since sliced bread, but I felt a little burned when they stopped keeping it up-to-date.  Even though I researched alternatives, I remained loyal.  Last month I replaced the hub with a SMP since I had another one in a different room and no other off-the-shelf media player supports as many formats.  (Thankfully missing the 3rd gen)  However, I have a Synology NAS with Video Station that has a Roku app for it, but the NAS would have to use it’s CPU to remux mkv.

If this really is WD’s new direction, I made a mistake getting another one.  They could easily push a final firmware for the 2nd Gen that drops Netflix and then no longer keep it up-to-date like they did the hub.

Enrico.Boccuni wrote:

@mike27oct

Yes, and this is the official forum of the new wd tv, this is the thread for the new reply, migrate here thanks :wink:

I did not suggest anyone migrate to the other thread.  I just informed folks that this product has been being discussed for a few weeks elsewhere before this “official” thread appeared, and they might learn something from that thread!    Nevertheless, thanks for the “tip” suggesting I migrate here. 

This is such a lame “new” product I doubt I need to keep up with it, because it will be joining the WD Play’s fate soon.  Unfortunately, WD obviously  “lost the lease” on the Netflix license, so to continue making their media player, they apparently had to bring out this stop-gap Netflix-less unit, and even charge MORE for it.  Shame on WD.  This is not being marketed to folks who already have a WDTV  – the purpose of this product is so WD can continue marketing a media player to new adopters.  People who already have a WDTV want a significantly improved new product, and this isn’t it.

I got the email and was a bit curious. However, none of the press releases or emails say anything about what is actually different.

The only thing that sticks out is now this “new” device doesn’t support Netflix.

How can you release the same thing, at a higher price, with less features, and call it new?

It supports miracast and also it appears that you may be able to upload new apps.

duel007 wrote:

How can you release the same thing, at a higher price, with less features, and call it new?

It’s the retailers setting the price.   WD’s MSRP is actually $30 lower…

WD TV SMP:   $129 MSRP (Reported on Amazon, WD now selling for $89)   $79 Sale Price (on Amazon)

New WD TV:  $99 MSRP (Unreported, but that’s what WD sells it at)    $99 Sale Price (on Amazon)

mike27oct wrote:

People who already have a WDTV want a significantly improved new product, and this isn’t it.

Ya think?  I’ve been saying for months this product has issues and all I hear is “it works for me”…so do you think all those geniuses will rush out and tell their  friends to get the new one?  Even when they won’t buy one?

Put a fork in it.  It is done folks!

my personal opinion, this may actually be the replacement for the WD Play

I am still using the original (or maybe 2nd gen version) of WDTV Media player, it’s before wifi was included anyway. Would I notice a difference if I replaced that with the new box? I see WD’s european shiop has it for the equivalent of 75 US$ including postage and tax which seems a good buy… any thoughts appreciated

This thread got totally hijacked.  Can someone please answer the original question…

What about the UI and limitations it has:

• Folders (that contain movie sets) and individual movies sort separately instead of together
  • No way to have a separate Display name from a Sort Name
  • Proper sorting for US English (automatically skipping “The”, “A”, “An”, etc.)

Any improvements there?  I might consider upgrading if those were solved.

dcb917 wrote:
Ya think?  I’ve been saying for months

You don’t say.

dcb917 wrote:
all I hear is “it works for me”

Again: why should your negative experience drown out the majority’s positive?

dcb917 wrote:
so do you think all those geniuses will rush out and tell their  friends to get the new one

For a player without Netflix? Get real.

dcb917 wrote:

• *And yet you’re still here. Wonder why that is.

Has anyone tested this new box to see if the networking is better?

It seems like noone noticed the new model.  In terms of reviews they are sparce and negative:

http://techcrunch.com/2014/05/27/western-digital-has-lost-its-mind/

I have and I’m getting the same results as with the SMP: no problems in 2 networks, playing HD content from NAS and Win 7/Win 8.1 PCs.

Hello guys, keep it friendly.

Techflaws wrote:

I have and I’m getting the same results as with the SMP: no problems in 2 networks, playing HD content from NAS and Win 7/Win 8.1 PCs.

Does it do anything better than the prior model?

Hi guys!

“WD TV” has Grid GUI only, or Mochi too?

Yes, grid GUI and Mochi too. So far the only improvement I’ve noticed is being able to add a shortcut to any subdirectory of an attached HDD to the main screen.

Hey Tech,

Does it have the 30mb theme limit like the SMP?

Dunno but I’d guess it does.

Techflaws wrote:

dcb917 wrote:
Ya think?  I’ve been saying for months

You don’t say.

dcb917 wrote:
all I hear is “it works for me”

Again: why should your negative experience drown out the majority’s positive?

dcb917 wrote:
so do you think all those geniuses will rush out and tell their  friends to get the new one

For a player without Netflix? Get real.

dcb917 wrote:

• *And yet you’re still here. Wonder why that is.

Perhaps fond memories of what the  wd tv was and promised to be, and hope that it may be again.

betamaxman wrote:

Perhaps fond memories of what the  wd tv was and promised to be, and hope that it may be again.

To quote Heiner Müller: hope is just a lack of information.