Won't connect to Toshiba tv

my wd live will not connect to my Toshiba 19 LV 505 tv with HDMI plug.  If I connect my computer to the tv with HDMI it works fine.  Connect the WD and no picture( tv is set to HDMI),  if I hook WD to another TV it works fine.  Am  i doing something wrong? 

Just a guess

The Toshiba TV is only 720p (not full HD 1080p)

According to the Toshiba 19LV505 user manual the TV supports 480p, 720p & 1080i

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/203658/Toshiba-19lv505.html?page=70#manual

So i would try hooking it up to your “other” TV & manually setting …  (720p 50Hz/60Hz or 1080i 50hz/60Hz even “Auto”)  eg.

On your WDTV :   Setup > Audio/Video Output > Video Ouput > HDMI > 720p 50Hz

Then try it on the Toshiba (note: switch the Toshiba TV OFF before connecting HDMI … then switch ON)

1 Like

Thank you Joey.  That didn’t work, thank you for your solution.

I have had this problem with various TV sets.  Every now and again it crops up. 

A new ‘good quality’ HDMI lead has fixed it most times.

He said his computer connected to the TV via HDMI works … so i assume, if he’s using the same HDMI cable, then that’s not the problem.

What’s a “good qaulity” HDMI cable ?   i’ve been using a $2.95 one for past 4-5 years without issue.

I would’nt recommend spending more than $15 for a HDMI cable … if you do spend more, then you’re getting ripped-off.

JoeySmyth wrote:

What’s a “good qaulity” HDMI cable ?   i’ve been using a $2.95 one for past 4-5 years without issue.

Joey, I was using a cheap HDMI import from China on my Samsung TV from my WDTV SMP.  It worked perfectly. 

I then set one up for a friend nearby and used the same HDMI lead.  But this time his TV didn’t ‘see’ the WDTV.

He went and bought another lead for $20, plugged it in and “Bingo” it worked perfectly.  Put my cheap lead back on again and it wouldn’t work!

It is just worth a try I reckon!

That’s odd, my cheap cable works on all my 3 TV’s with the WDTV

it’s worth a try i suppose (buying new cable)

Just hope it works

JoeySmyth wrote:

it’s worth a try i suppose (buying new cable)

Just hope it works

You are spot on Joey, it doesn’t make sense but it might just work!

Thank you all.  tried different HDMI cords but still no picture.

I know the picture quality won’t be anywhere near as good as HDMI … but have you tried the supplied composite cable ?

Red / White / Yellow cable connected to your Tosbiba

Tried the composite with no luck.  I’m wondering if it can be the firmware.  device info shows 2.01.86 which is  current firmware

2.01.86 isn’t the “Latest”  … 2.02.32 is  (but i would’nt recommend updating to it)  wait until the next version.

But apart from that … i don’t think that is the cause … i still suspect there is something funny going on with the Toshiba.

Maybe on the WDTV try the lowest resolution possible via HDMI

Setup > Audio/Video Output > Video Ouput > HDMI > 480p 50Hz

The fact the WDTV works on your “Other” TV … says, the WDTV is OK    (ps. what brand is the other TV and how old ?)

Personally, i’d try the WDTV on another TV at a friends or neighbours house and see if it works.

If it does … then it will confirm that your Toshiba TV has some sort of problem.

[1] Could be a faulty HDMI port on the Toshy, try connecting another to confirm or not

[2] Make sure that the HDMI port being used on the Toshy is enabled, no harm in checking and resetting

[3] Don’t force the WDTV Live into trying to output a fixed resolution - Setup > Audio.Video Output > Video Output > HDMI > Auto and see if that works

Will await resuts with trepidation

Found an interesting “Roku” thread  … bunch of people with the same Toshiba TV and the same problem

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=46505

none of them can get it working via HDMI …

but one person said it does work with Composite (which leads me to think, when you tried it (lasted) … it was possibly a PAL/NTSC issue … when you connected it to the “other” working TV … did you select in the Setup Menu … “Composite” and “NTSC”  or  “PAL” … depending on which country you live.