Whats the best NAS or standalone hard drive?

I’ve worked on and built computers for years, having a career doing PC support for AT&T.  My experience would say any western digital hard drive is better then any other choice.  Even though their mfg. facilities were badly damaged in recent asian flooding, the hard drives still available are first rate.  And their warranty (from 2 to 3 years depending on the model) is top notch.  When, or if, you ever send a drive back under warranty they will almost always give you a bigger and better one in return.

I run ONLY WD drives in my machines and servers and have never had to return anything (some of them have over 12 year service now).  If you plan to leave it running 7x24x365 (all the time) get a drive made for AV service (continual server use).  I would recommend WD20EURS ( a 2TB drive made for AV use), but they are almost impossible to find since the floods in thiland (where 90% of their mfg is).  If it is the only drive on a machine (or all will be advanced format drives) you can use their advanced format drives (like xyzEARS models).  You can’t mix and match advanced format drives with old style (common SATA drives).

Check newegg.com for drives (their prices are very good).  Stay FAR AWAY from drives labeled Toshiba and Hatichi (not made by them, but very poor quality drives).

Enjoy,

Mike

1 Like