What kind of composite cable to get

We just ordered a WD TV Live which will get added to our new home theater system using HDMI cable into the reciever.

We’d also like to be able to use it with our TV in the bedroom and are wondering if we can also have a composite cable going from the WD box to the bedroom TV. If so, what kind of cable? I am unfamiliar with single jack A/V (always thought it was 3 - yellow, red, white) and how long can such a cable be as the TV we want to hook up is about 15m away. Thanks for any help.

Buy a Second WDTV Live for the Bedroom (a lot less hassle in the long run)

Something worth a mention … when you hook it up via HDMI into your reciever for 5.1 Surround Sound you’ll need to set the Audio output from “Stereo” to “HDMI Passthrough”

Which disables the audio from the Red and White Composite cables (so you will have to set it back to “Stereo” Everytime you want to watch in the bedroom) 

Also,  i assume you have an Andriod/IOS device to use as a remote control with the WD remote app ?

1 Like

the 15m estimate is based on the distance along the wall into the next room.  “as the crow flies” is less than 1/2 that.

Plenty of phones/tablets to use as remotes.

Not sure I understand the wifi part. are you saying I could go wireless from the WD Live to the TV without need for a cable at all (assuming a wifi enabled TV)?

DragonsDream wrote:

Not sure I understand the wifi part. are you saying I could go wireless from the WD Live to the TV without need for a cable at all (assuming a wifi enabled TV)?

Sorry, it was a mis-type … i suppose an AV Sender/Reciever may work ?

Smart TV’s are DLNA… the WDTV Live will not serve to it (WDTV Live Hub will, as it has a built in Twonky server)

P.S. Composite video looks Horrible compared to HDMI, but i guess you’ll discover that soon enough.

1 Like

DragonsDream wrote:

the 15m estimate is based on the distance along the wall into the next room.  “as the crow flies” is less than 1/2 that.

Plenty of phones/tablets to use as remotes.

Might this be an option.

I have a tablet (with wifi) attached to a bedroom tv (via hdmi) and it connects and plays video from either my WDTV SMP or WDTV Live Hub.

I use a usb keyboard with the tablet.

Cheers