Wdtv doesnt recognise mkv over network

When trying to play some movies over the network using ‘Media Server’. It did not recognise any of my mkv files and simply did not show them.

When I copied one of the movies to a flash drive and connected it to the wdtv directly, it played it without problem. 

Any help?

Get a media server that supports MKV or connect via network shares (and use the search function next time!).

Media server choice rarely used here, as network shares is better for accessing stuff on home network.

As has been said, a media server only serves certain files. Use network shares and see everything.

Thanks for the replies, however, i couldn’t get it to connect to using the network shares. 

sometimes is just can’t find anything, other times it asks login credentials but i have no idea what they’re supposed to be. 

I’m using win8 btw.

carelessmonkey wrote:

Thanks for the replies, however, i couldn’t get it to connect to using the network shares. 

sometimes is just can’t find anything, other times it asks login credentials but i have no idea what they’re supposed to be. 

I’m using win8 btw.

The first post in this thread will help you correctly set up your network shares on the WD.  Of course, your Windows shareing also needs to be configured correctly, too.

How to resolve Network shares access problems

Thank you.

And for the record, I did try searching for this problem in general and through the forum. After 30 minutes I decided to sign up to the forum and post.

OK, so let us know if the solution works for you.