Trouble updating to 2.01.86

I have not been able to install the latest firmware update on my WDTV.  Here are my attempts and the results:

1. Install via hardwired network update:
  • unit reboots but update does not start; returns to home screen where I can once again select update.  Select update again unit reboots but again update is not applied
  1. Install via usb flash drive:
  • unit reboots and goes to WD boot screen and stays there frozen.  Pull power to try to reboot and get black screen with red cross telling me I must reinstall firmware via usb
  • rollback update to 1.16 via same usb flash drive.  Old firmware installs fine and goes to homescreen
  1. Install via wd passport external hard drive:
  • unit reboots and goes to WD boot screen and stays there frozen.  Pull power to try to reboot and get black screen with red cross telling me I must reinstall firmware via usb
  • rollback update to 1.16 via usb flash drive.  Old firmware installs fine and goes to homescreen
  1. Reset WDTV to factory settings and install via hardwired network:
  • unit reboots but update does not start; returns to home screen where I can once again select update.  Select update again unit reboots but again update is not applied
  1. Reset WDTV to factory settings and install via usb flash drive:
  • rollback update to 1.16 via same usb flash drive.  Old firmware installs fine and goes to homescreen

I am at my wits end now and was looking to see if anyone has any advice or knows of a solution for me.  Thanks in advance.

I’m all for method 5. You could use another stick and do an MD5 check on the files once on your HDD and again on your stick. If the files are 100% identical, do a reset of the device (detached from network) and put in the stick to start the update. What happens?

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that when I am doing the upgrade via usb I already do disconnect the network cable before I proceed with the update.  I get C37A8B7C1B99171A326D56FDD20B7AD3 for the MD5 on the firmware update file that I got from this link:  http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfwdtv_live_G3

Would I need to try a different usb stick if the stick that I use works fine when I do a rollback to the older firmware?  I already tried using my wd passport with the same result.

You need to do the MD5 check on the separate files extracted from the zip archive:

f2202d8b5686c1848cf7ed18f5a3fb5c *wdtvlivegen3.bi2
d3f24682a32d0ac469cc5c8dbe1db713 *wdtvlivegen3.bin
833725f03b41b9c24cf00952dcfbd4b6 *wdtvlivegen3.fff
dcff24899a54eb85bb8172ba6b85e095 *wdtvlivegen3.info
c56f1594c9c1fda61a0993dd2c4e596c *wdtvlivegen3.ver

If a rollback works, it suggests the stick is fine.