Trouble transfering files between hard drives

Need some help here, I’ve been a WD media player user for the past 6 or so years. I have a WD tv media player (maybe a year and a half old) with 2 external HD attached to it…One 3TB the other is a 2TB (both wd ext HD). I still have my legacy wd tv live plus I’ve had from the beginning and use it to stream movies from the wd tv media player. The vast majority of the files are .mkv but ther are spatterings of .avi, .mp4 and even a few VOB files. Over the years as I’ve run out of storage space I’ve just gotten larger ext HD and used a pc to transfer the files.

The 3TB HD is full and I recently got a 6TB HD (both wd my books). When I connect them to a pc (ive tried both ones running widows 8.1 and windows 7) it wont allow me to drag and drop my “movies” folder to the new HD. both HDs are connected and running properly. It doesn’t give an error or even start thinking…it just ignores it. All the files from the 3tb drive function fine when connected to the media player. I’ve tried dragging and dropping individual movie file sub folders and some will copy over but most are ignored.

Oddly enough, if i reconnect the 3tb drive to the media player I can copy all the files over my network from the media player to the 6tb drive connected to a pc. Obvioulsy at 10 Mb/s it’ll take a long time to transfer nearly 3tb worth of data. Given that I can transfer the files over the network through the media player but not straight from the drive it makes me wonder if there are some sort of files the media player is inserting to lock the files preventing them from being transfered?..Any ideas or anyone else experiencing this?

Just for testing, are you able to copy files from the 3TB drive into the old 2TB drive and/or into a computer?

Regards,

Trancer,

Nope I am not able to transfer files between the 3TB and the 2TB drive either through a PC (windows 8.1 or windows7). I let the wireless transfer continue from the 3TB drive through the media player to the 6TB connected to a PC over the weekend. Took almost 3 days but it all transfered over without problems. I then conncted the 3TB and the 2TB to the PC…it would’nt even let me delete the files off the 3TB drive (I ended up reformatting it to wipe it). Again, couldn’t transfer anything over between the drives. It looks like the media player adds .metadata and .xml (or something like that) files to each movie subfolder…I’m wondering if deleting those files would make a difference?  Other than that can’t really think of anything else…

have you tried a 3rd party file/folder copying software ? 

i use " roadkil’s unstoppable copier"   *free*

http://www.roadkil.net/program.php?ProgramID=29

or there’s more out there if you google.

I remember a while ago having problems with windows 7 and copying files to another drive … was something to do with silly  “administration rights” … but now am running as “admin” without issue

anyways, might not resolve your issue … but thought i’d post anyways :neutral_face:

ps. the metadata xml’s won’t cause an issue  (it may take longer to copy … since there’s probably a ton of them)

Thanks for the suggestion… I’ll give roadkill a try