Shared files problem

i have my SMP setup as WIFI and play my files from my windows share folder ’ C:/Shared files’

my problem is if i cut and paste a movie folder to my ‘Shared Files’ i get ’
there is no media available for playback’ if i cut and paste just the movie file i get ‘unable to play the selected file.please see the user manual for a list of supported file formats’
however if i copy and paste instead of cut and paste they both work fine.

what could the problem be.

i would appreciate any assistance
thank you

It’s most likely to do with file permissions.

From the microsoft website:

By default, an object inherits permissions from its parent object, either at the time of creation or when it is copied or moved to its parent folder. The only exception to this rule occurs when you move an object to a different folder on the same volume. In this case, the original permissions are retained.

Basically what this means is, if you move a file or folder (i.e. Cut and Paste), the file or folder keeps the original permissions, so if you are moving from a non-shared folder into a shared folder, the file retains it’s non-shared permissions.

If you copy and paste into a shared folder, then the file copied will inherit the shared permissions of the shared folder.

many thanks that makes perfect sense i do appreciate your assistance.now i have to fugure out how to get around it but at least i know what the problem is

thanks again