"Skip to desired time" missing for DVDs

For several of my DVDs (ISO and folder-structure) and at least one Bluray-ISO, the option to skip to a desired time is missing in the “OK”-menu. Only “Close” is available.

The weird thing is that even during the main movie, the option is not available for the affected files.

I’m ripping all discs with PUOs (prohibited user-operation) removed, so this shouldn’t happen at all.

Setting “DVD Menu” to off is a workaround.

Reproducible in 2.01.86 and 2.02.32, so it’s not a new problem

Sample-ISO: http://www.mediafire.com/download/40ao4ye44jd43gb/wdtv_skip_test.zip

EDIT: Blurays aren’t affected, see message 4.

schwurbel wrote:

For several of my DVDs (ISO and folder-structure) and at least one Bluray-ISO, the option to skip to a desired time is missing in the “OK”-menu. Only “Close” is available.

The weird thing is that even during the main movie, the option is not available for the affected files. 

It’s never been there.  The option has never existed when menus are in use…

Not being able to skip at least in the main movie is a bug.

Another related bug:

The rewind/fastforward-buttons are accelerating the playback speed to 2x, 4x etc.

When pressing PREV or NEXT during rev/ff, 10 minutes are skipped and the seeking at the previously selected speed is continued.

Not so when playing a movie with DVD menu enabled.

Hitting PREV or NEXT when rewinding/fastforwarding, the step is only done ONCE and then the player switches back to normal forward playback speed.

I.e. hitting rewind to seek backwards, then pressing PREV, the position changes te 10 minutes earlier but then the player switches to normal playback speed and direction.

The problem with the one bluray came down to it lacking the (empty) folders “AUXDATA”, “BDJO” and “JAR”.

After creating a new iso with those folders included, the skipping-menu is being offered.

Maybe a fallback could be added to handle blurays, which lack these folders, as if the folders were there.

EDIT: But for some reason this breaks the menu-support of that file. Weird.

I’m wondering if you and I are talking about the same player, as all the things you describe above have been that way for as long as I can remember…

DVD playback has ALWAYS used a separate API that has completely different playback software than all other movie formats.   Differences in navigation / options controls with DVDs versus other linear formats have been that way since even before the WD TV Live Hub.

schwurbel wrote:

The problem with the one bluray came down to it lacking the (empty) folders “AUXDATA”, “BDJO” and “JAR”.

EDIT: But for some reason this breaks the menu-support of that file. Weird.

Menu support for Blurays?   Never existed.  Not sure what you’re talking about…

TonyPh12345 wrote:

I’m wondering if you and I are talking about the same player, as all the things you describe above have been that way for as long as I can remember…

Then it was always broken.

Skipping is a fundamental feature, and it must not depend on how the video is accessed. Skipping has to work, period. Otherwise the support for menus is borderline useless and it might as well be removed.

Ever seen a DVD-player which doesn’t allow you to skip except for PUOs? Me neither.

Again, Skipping has ALWAYS worked for DVDs in menu mode – it skips by chapter.