Odd file name behavior

Hi,

I recently added folders to media library, and see some odd behaviour.

I have a few files in my folder, which I can see in Windows network share mode on the WDLive, and the file name is exactly the same as what I see when I look at them on my Windows machine.

But when I look at them in media library mode, now the filenames are something completely different.  If I go to the file in question, and press Options, it shows the location of the file and the original file name, so I know that is the same file.

But why is it changing the name in media library mode, and where is that coming from?  I didn’t retrieve any info from internet, and my Get Content Info -  is set at Manual Only.

I examined the file on the pc, and there is no indication of that different file name anywhere that I can see.

Thanks.

Could it be reading a tag embedded in the file?

What kind of file is it?

Good guess Tony.  They are .mp4 files.

I went into VLC and looked at the metadata and seems that’s where WDLive is getting the names from.

However, I removed the metadata and saved the changes, then I re-scanned the folder, but WDLive is still picking up the tag data.  I tried several times, and am pretty confident all the tags are gone, but somehow they still show up.

Is there any way to force WDLive to use the file names as displayed in the folder?

fred9999 wrote:

Good guess Tony.  They are .mp4 files.

I went into VLC and looked at the metadata and seems that’s where WDLive is getting the names from.

However, I removed the metadata and saved the changes, then I re-scanned the folder, but WDLive is still picking up the tag data.  I tried several times, and am pretty confident all the tags are gone, but somehow they still show up.

Is there any way to force WDLive to use the file names as displayed in the folder?

Once files are added to the media library, they stay there until the library is cleared.   Alternatively, you can rename the file so that the WD thinks the old one was deleted and there’s a new file with a different name.

1 Like

@fred9999

I use Mp3tag to remove tag info from *mp4 files (yes Mp3tag works with video mp4 files)

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Maybe worth a try, to double check that VLC removed them properly

If all is good, follow Tony’s advice

1 Like

I came across this a good few years ago now, can’t remember exactly when it was.

It certanly had me scratching my head.

It I remember correctly it was displaying ‘Title’ in place of file name if ‘Title’ was present.

I tried (using VLC) to remove the tag, but VLC won’t save it if you simply remove the tag using the delete key, you need to use blanks (or something) in the field.  Then when I rescan WDLive, it shows the name as blanks!  Weird…

I tried renaming the file as well, and I tried clearing the library and rebuilding, but nothing worked.  If there’s something in the tag, I guess that takes precedence.

I’ll have to check out MP3tag, I think I may have it somewhere.  I did try Musicbrainz Picard, but that didn’t seem to work either.

Thanks everyone.