Mkv freezing

mooster wrote:

This is an issue I’ve encountered a few times with different files as well - MKV’s freezing at the same spot in playback.  I’ve trawled through google looking for solutions (as none sem to have been presented by WD staff - consumers who’ve purchased the product have essentially turned int WD’s de facto R&D team it seems - posting results and workarounds on this site.  Where’s my paycheck!!??). 

Just this morning I thought I’d try yet again to see if I could identify and rectify the problem by re-encoding with different settings and testing - a tme consuming process!  I recalled reading somewhere that using the front port on the media player might be a solution (despite the fact theat the cord is visible making the setup less visually appealing).  Yesterday I reset the player to factory defaults (I assume this resets the firmware to default too).

Up until the time of writing I’ve tried 7 different encodes of exactly the same file using various settings.  With the external WD 1TB portable HDD plugged into the FRONT PORT there have been no playback issues at all.

I’ll attempt once I’ve completed this painful experiment, to let you know if the rear port has issues with playback of the same files. 

Hope this helps.

Please describe: What model P/N is located at the bottom of your device?
I do suspect that may be a difference between models ending with “01” and “00”(revision “01” and “00”).
This issue described in details here:
http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Discussions/Intention-to-finalize-a-rear-USB-port-issue-drives-USB-3-0/m-p/392589/highlight/true#M7913
This may help to accelerate it solution.