Miracast not working

I’m trying to cast my Nexus5 and my Nexus 7-2013 screens using the screen cast option under settings>display (in the android settings), my devices recognize the wd-tv-live and attept to connect to it, the WD box pops up a notification saying - connecting android device…, but it just tries to connect, arrow icon spinning, and after a minute or so it just says “can’t connect due to poor connection”, my WD is connected via ethernet cable, and my android devices are both in the same network and have excellent wifi connection.

From the Wiki : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracast

Miracast is a peer-to-peer wireless screencasting standard formed via Wi-Fi Direct connections in a manner similar to Bluetooth. It enables wireless delivery of audio and video to or from desktops, tablets, mobile phones, and other devices

Connecting your WD via an “Ethernet Cable” disables the WDTV’s Wireless (Wi-Fi) connectivity … and is  probably why Miracast is not  making the connection from your Nexus’s to the WDTV

Unplug the Ethernet Cable connected to your WDTV … setup the Wireless … and it should work

EDIT: Incorrect information … ethernet cable can be plugged in at the same time when using miracast

Check the Compatabilty Sheet for your Devices (Nexus versions and Android versions)

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5688/~/list-of-compatible-devices-for-the-wd-tv-live-hub-media-center,-wd-tv-live

You’re probably right… Though I don’t want to disconnect the box from the cable and use wifi, cable is much more reliable, and although that’l probably allow me to use miracast it’ll take away the advantages of cable connection. Thank you for your quick responce though!

That’s why mine is not working via Miracast !!! - it’s connected to the network via Ethernet.

So, it’s not possible to have a WDTV Live connected via ethernet for internet access AND via wireless for Miracast from a tablet that is connected to the network via wireless - bummer.

Was hoping to have the best of both worlds where the tablet could be used to stream internet video from an AP then via Miracast to the WDTV Live.

I’ll give the wireless only connection a try out and see how that goes, hopefully accessing internet based apps won’t be too slow via wireless when compared to a wired connection. However, the majority of use is playing videos & music from the attached USB HDD so that won;t be affected.

Give us an update buddy, I too thought I could have enjoyed both worlds…

Confession time…

1. I don’t own a WDTV Live SMP … but i do know from lot’s and lot’s of reading … connecting an Ethernet Cable disables the Wi-Fi

2. I have played around with Miracast from Tablet (Wi-Fi) to another Tablet (Wi-Fi) … worked, but was laggy

3. I have a Chromecast … which works great !  but remember it’s a Wi-Fi only Device (No Ethernet)

Tablet / Phone (Wi-Fi)  >>> “Cast to” >>> Chromecast (Wi-Fi)  = Works

therefore …  Miracast on the WDTV (Going by the Wiki and the above examples)  should be how it “works” as well

(probably the same for Wi-Di , Airplay … all “Wireless Casting” tech but under a different name and brand)

JoeySmyth wrote:

Confession time…

1. I don’t own a WDTV Live SMP … but i do know from lot’s and lot’s of reading … connecting an Ethernet Cable disables the Wi-Fi

I do own a WDTV Live SMP. And I can switch back and forth between wired and wireless without disconnecting the ethernet cable. And yes, I have verified which connection is actually being used.

Is there an option to choose between ethernet and wifi states? i’m not near my box atm

I’ve just set my box to connect to my wifi, it connected fine, and I’ve set it to ‘wifi’ instead of ‘wired’,  then I tried to cast my nexus’s screen, same behavior, it just spins and eventually says “the connection was lost due to poor connectivity”. strange…

gderf wrote:

JoeySmyth wrote:

Confession time…

I do own a WDTV Live SMP. And I can switch back and forth between wired and wireless without disconnecting the ethernet cable. And yes, I have verified which connection is actually being used.

Thanks for clarification - actual use beats reading about stuff anytime !!!

Last night here (Aus) I sent WD Support an email re this - wanting them to clarify so we all know with the new FW

[1] Can the unit be connected via Ethernet AND have the WiFi-Direct (Miracast) active at the same time

[2] Does connecting via Ethernet disable the Wireless completely (both WiFi for Network and WifI-Direct for Miracast)

i had same issue with my dell venue 8 pro but tried again and it worked.  my wdtv is connected via ethernet so i’m pretty sure the connection type don’t matter as long as both devices are on the same network.

sidewinder33625 wrote:

i had same issue with my dell venue 8 pro but tried again and it worked.  my wdtv is connected via ethernet so i’m pretty sure the connection type don’t matter as long as both devices are on the same network.

What is happening with this setup as I found out is that -

Your Laptop/Tablet which is connected via wireless to your network gets its internet acces via (WiFi AP connect to Router OR WiFi Router) and when you use “Play To” (Charms → Devices → Play → WDTV) it actually sends the stream from the Laptop/Tablet back over the wireless to your Router where it is directed to the WDTV Live via Ethernet. So you are not actually using the Laptop/Tablet WiFi-Direct connection (Miracast) to the WDTV Live. Check your Switch or Router connection lights and you will see what I am describing.

Received back an email from WD Support re my query, here is there answer to my questions

The Miracast does not recognize devices connected via wired Ethernet as it specifically used Wi-Fi to pair the devices to allow the screencast. The WD TV Live Streaming does not have the ability to have both connection types active at the same time. It will be  necessary to connect to the network via Wi-Fi when using Miracast.

I think I might put in a suggestion that the unit should be able to have an Ethernet connection AND WifI-Direct (Miracast) active at the same time. Only WiFi-Direct for Miracast, no other WiFi connection - you get the best of both worlds.

The Network Menu is confusing, you can have a Wired connection and the WiFi-Direct option as well as the Miracst option still appear, which is what led me to believe that you can have Wired and WiFi-Direct (Miracast) both available at the same time.

Shame as it would be great to be able to have a wired connect to access the inbuilt Apps as well as be able to use a Laoptop/Tablet to stream internet video via WifI-Direct (Miracast)

exitguy wrote:

Received back an email from WD Support re my query, here is there answer to my questions

The Miracast does not recognize devices connected via wired Ethernet as it specifically used Wi-Fi to pair the devices to allow the screencast. The WD TV Live Streaming does not have the ability to have both connection types active at the same time. It will be  necessary to connect to the network via Wi-Fi when using Miracast.

So, i was kinda on the right track then ?   :wink:

This actually didn’t resolve my issue, I have set my box to connect via WIFI (I’ didn’t disconnect the ethernet cable, but I went into setup>network connection and set it to connect via my home wifi, then I set the connection as default, meaning it is now connected via WIFI despite the ethernet cable still plugged in. then I tried to cast my nexus 7 and my nexus 5’s screen, same result as when the box was connected via ethernet. arrow spins, tablet says “connecting to wd tv live”, box says “connecting to android device”, but after a minute it just stops and displays a message saying the connection has been aborted due to poor network connection. both my tablet AND the WD box have excellent 5 bars wifi connection.

Same here - set it to wireless, Win explorer cannot see the WDTV Live like before so looks like whatever connection you set it too disables the other, 5bars signal strength, WDTV Live talks to the network & have internet access, Apps work fine. Win8.1.1 Tablet doesn’t even see the WDTV Live - AAHH **bleep** technology

So has anybodt got Miracast working yet with any device ??? - pls post device & SW & SW version - be good to get a list

exitguy wrote:

pls post device & SW & SW version - be good to get a list

This is the list so far (down the bottom)  http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5688/~/list-of-compatible-devices-for-the-wd-tv-live-hub-media-center,-wd-tv-live

Youtube Review Demo  (using cheap china tablet) 

WDTV Mirorcast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccLjAYGi3a8

Tablet Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxVs5E_byrI

1 Like

Hi there, cannot get Miracast to link up with my Samsung S4 phone, it disconnects due to “poor connection”. I unplugged the ethernet cable and have the WDTV Live connected to WIFI. Is there solutions? Many thanks in advance.

Miracast works fine for me on Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and Samsung Galaxy Tab S.

Please check whether you are on custom rom or rooted as in this case chances of working are less.

Good to hear miracast is working for you bimprep

Just to clarify for myself and others …

are you running a stock factory rom or a custom rom on your Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and Samsung Galaxy Tab S?

thanks