m4v files won't play?

Can anyone explain to me why certain m4V files will not play. I just put all of my James Bond collection on my HDD and five of the titles will not play.  It’s weird because all 5 of the files play just fine on any of my 8 computers (6 Macs & 2 Win PC’s).  The files play on several players from VLC to Windows media player.  I’ve tried deleting and reinstalling the files to the drive, restarting the WDTV Live, erasing the library and rebuilding it, resetting - nothing works. When I click on the movie file the little yellow wheel turns and then the device freezes every single time. All other files are playing correctly.  I have to unplug the WDTV Live in order to restart it.

I am using the WDTV Live SMP with v2.02.32. I’ve had a lot of problems since the update and have never had an issue like this before. I only use my WDTV Live for streaming movies, photos, and mp3 music from my Toshiba 3TB HDD. I use it for nothing else. I have to admit that I’m a little frustrated because I really want the device to just work worry free, and it seems that it remains a constant near miss in this regard! I don’t mean to complain, but I do wish I understood what to do to resolve the constant little nagging issues. Any help in decoding the problem would be appreciated!

PS. Can anyone tell me the maximum drive size that the WDTV Live supports? I was told 4TB but I couldn’t confim it.

CRAZY THING HAPPENED ON THE ROAD TO INSANITY!!! a few minutes ago I remembered a brand new WDTV Live SMP that I had in the closet. I’d bought it to put in another room and never got around to it because of the crazy WD problems that I knew my kids would never be able to handle.  I hooked it up and the m4v files played - every single one of them. The version is 2.01.86. You wanna’ know what? I’m never gonna’ change it EVER!!!

I don’t know about you guys but I’m a simple sort of guy. I don’t care about internet streaming, apps or anything else. It seems that the WDTV Live is being asked to do far TOO much. All that I want is to connect a HDD to my TV and nothing more. The WDTV LIve SMP has a great easy to use interface and a 7 yr old can work it in the capacity that I use it for. So it seems that all I have to do is roll the other two that I own back to this version, put a HDD on each tv, and MY unique problem is solved.

I answered my own question…how cool is that! Then again, how cool would it be for WD to make an actual device with a real CPU that worked like a real computer. I’d pay for it even if it cost the same as a tablet or laptop…but then again I’m weird like that! :smileyvery-happy:

ibantu wrote:

I hooked it up and the m4v files played - every single one of them. The version is 2.01.86.

No surprise there since most m4v are usually mp4s.

Probably could just change the .m4v to .mp4 and it would work.

darrinster wrote:

Probably could just change the .m4v to .mp4 and it would work.

That won’t make any difference at all.

The bug is in Firmware 2.02.32… and since ibantu is using Firmware 2.01.86 (on the wdtv smp he found in his closet)  mp4’s, m4v’s etc … will work fine for him

The MP4/M4V bug is in All Firmware’s for the WDTV Media Player (2014) … so it probably crept into 2.02.32 for the WDTV Live Streaming (2011)

@ ibantu

If you want to Rollback the firmware on your 1st WDTV SMP to 2.01.86 … here’s my simple guide

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/2-02-32-Firmware-no-longer-allows-content/m-p/781937#M32423

Thanks a bunch!!! Everythings working again!