Iplayer not streaming clearly

Hi all,

New here and have searched about to find an answer to my issue but with no avail.

Here goes I do admit I have a slow internet connection about 1Mb top speed (living in the country) but I can stream iplayer seamlessly on my macbook, S4 and tablet via the wifi on my network.

My wdtv live is wired into my router and while youtube and vimeo work fine iplayer does not it stops and stutters and jumps and I can see no reason for it to do this with it being hard wired to the system.

I have been advised that port forwarding may solve the problem, does anyone have any experience of this or any other suggestions that may solve my issue.

Cheers

Hello,

Check if you have the latest firmware version installed. According to the iPlayer support page, for uninterrupted program playback you’ll need an internet connection that delivers at least 2Mbps of sustained bandwidth for SD content, and at least 3Mbps of sustained bandwidth for HD content.    

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/mobile_tablet/iPad_internetconnection

Your tablet/Macbook might be doing a better job buffering the video, since they have more memory available

1 Like

That does make sense, I suppose on the memory side of things and bufferering.

I do seem to be able to solve it from time to time by letting it play all glitchy for a minute or so then skip back to the start and it sometimes works.

What memory does the WD TV have for buffering purposes?