Can't see PC files after connecting NAS

Hi all,

This has been a problem for me for a long time, and I have been living with it, but hating it.

Now that I recently switched to Win 7 (yes, you read that right, yes, it’s 2014…)  I thought I could easily fix this, but no luck.  So I’m asking for help here.

I have a QNAP 412 NAS that’s connected to my home network, and the WDTV streams from it very nicely.

But, I am unable to get the WDTV to “see” my PC and its files, which are also (obviously) on the network.

Most recently, after I read something about NAS servers being Linux-based, I turned on “Linux shares” and was indeed able to find the NAS on that network share on the WDTV.

So, yes, I did the logical thing, and deleted all the network shares, passwords, etc, whatever, from the WIndows shares, and rescanned, and - it only would show me my QNAP TS412!  Frustrating!

Can anyone help me?  Is it even possible to see a NAS and a PC simultaneously on the WDTV?  I used to stream all my media from my PC to the WDTV over the network, until I got the NAS, and then it became all the WDTV could see.

Thanks for any help.

movielover891 wrote:
Is it even possible to see a NAS and a PC simultaneously on the WDTV?

Yes. I’m doing this all the time, now on Win 8.1. The only thing I did was set the WDTV to the same workgroup as PC and NAS.

Well, I kind of figured it should be possible, I mean, it’s only two seperate network connections after all.  But, I can’t make the WD see the PC.  When I open up Wondow shares, all I see is the TS412.  Very frustrating, I’ve tried to reset everything I could think of.  I need a hand here.