A cry for help

About 5 years ago I bought a 500 gb My Passport and until yesterday ,it worked perfectly. Details on the back of player are   P/N:WDBAA5000ABK-00    4910B R/N:C1B CAFGHA.
I was watching film on it when phone rang and I tried to pause the player but it didn’t respond 2 or 3 times so I turned the machine off from the remote. When I tried to turn on and watch again, all the controls work up until I try to play a file. All it now does is continuously search for the file with the blue icon going round and round endlessly. Can you tell me if I can re set the machine so it works again. Thanks.
I tried to email WD but their database of products doesn’t seem to include the WDBAA5000BK that I enter so I am scuppered. Can anyone out there help?

Five years for a hard drive is a fairly long time.  Certainly a chance it could be having problems.  You need to plug it into a PC and run some hard drive test software on it to check if it is going bad.  Every drive manufacuturer has such software–isn’t (generally) have to be specific to a partiular drive.

Edit:  after reading the subsequent post, I reread yours more carefully and see you may not have fully rebooted the SMP.  If you just press the power button you simply put it into sleep mode.  You need to hold the power button for 5 secs to really turn it off.  Frankly, I find it easier to just pull the power cord for a couple seconds.  Anyway, definitely reboot the device by fully powering it down before trying anything else.  You should always do that if are having any issues with basically any modern electronics device.  I had simply assumed you had at least done that. 

If you’re saying that you switched off the WD Player because it wasn’t responding then I doubt you hard drive is at fault. No doubt your WD Player didn’t cleanly shut down. There should be a small rest button underneath your WD Player although I guess it depends on the exact model you refer too! My reset button doesn’t work but I have found that pulling out the power supply at the back of the unit whilst it is still on and waiting 5 minutes works wonders.

Start with the simply approach first and if that doesn’t help try what ‘ncarver’ suggests and check your drive. It might be that switching it off ‘mid-play’ has some how corrupted your movie.??