Youtube sign in problems

I have been trying to sign in to my Youtube account using one of the two YT apps available in firmware 2.01.86 but no success so far (incorrect username and/or password). First attempted to log in using my account credentials without success, then tried again by enabling that 2-step verification thing and nothing again.

So is it possible to sign in to a Youtube account at all?

I’ve done it but to tell you the truth, I might have actually signed in using a prior FW release and WD TV Live is still remembering my credentials in 2.01.86. I don’t use Youtube that often. However, I was using it just a day or two ago and I was having trouble with the device pairing, but that ended up to be because of the browser on my PC. I am assuming that because it let me do the device pairing that I am still “signed on” to Youtube.

-Marty

Thanks but can you remember what firmware did you use and which Youtbe app it was? The leanback version perhaps? I can pair my mobile devices just fine using either version but that’s not exactly what I want.

So nobody else having trouble signing in to Youtube using this device?

I tested that this morning for you.

My WD box has two Youtube icons in Services menu - one with the normal Youtube logo and one that says Youtube videos in black & white.

I went to the first one, went down to the settings gear icon, clicked log in, it gave me a code to enter on Sign in - Google Accounts, I went to the PC & website, entered my Google credentials and the code and logged in no problem. After that, in the same settings page, the WD box displayed a Log Out icon with the Google email addr I had used to log in, so I know that my log in was successful. I used Google Chrome for the PC part. If it’s of any use to you, my password consists of no special characters, spaces, or anything but normal text.

I went to the Youtube Videos icon and was not successful logging in, but I have never registered for this service and do not know where to do so, so it was not a big surprise. I’d be happy to try that one as well if you tell me how to register. I’ve watched videos on there before but apparently nothing that required me being logged in.

My WD box is on FW 2.01.86.

Following up on our previous conversation, apparently I never was logged in to Youtube. I assumed that the device pairing function had required me to log in.

p.s. I don’t know what “leanback” is.

Still can’t get in. I’m talking about the custom Youtube app which is the one with the black and white logo. I can pair any devices using the leanback version (the one with the normal youtube logo) but that’s not what I want to do. The custom version seems a lot more snappier and responsive and I want to be able to save a playlist on my PC/laptop and then watch on my TV without having to pair anything. It’s much more convenient this way.

After fiddling around with account settings I found the wdtv did attempt to log in and the password was correct but still can’t get in either with or without the 2-step verification on. And I have tried with several different email addresses already, none of which worked.

FYI, I got logged in to both Youtube apps using FW 2.02.32. I had installed it and then backed it out due to the bug with the shortcut keys being active while trying to enter goto time values during video playback. Yesterday I decided to give it another chance due to instability in 2.01.86.

I did a Device Reset in 2.01.86, then did the FW upgrade to 2.02.32, then did a Device Reset again and re-entered all my settings.

Login to Youtube Videos app worked on the first try. I do not use two-step verification on my Google account.