YouTube app causing device to reboot

The official YouTube app is causing the WDTV Live Streaming to crash/ reboot whenever the app tries to automatically play the next video in a playlist. I’ve noticed this problem only yesterday.

Anyone else having this problem?

4 Likes

yes, I’ve seen this recently

haven’t looked into it, I dont’ use youtube enough for it to be critial to me

my first guess would be to factory reset and see if that solves it

I’m suffering the same problem since I attached Hauppage TV stick. Unplugging the USB doesn’t correct the problem. So I did a hard reset and YouTube app behavior became normal. Later I plugged again the Hauppage TV stick and the problem came back.

So the cause is clear (in my case).

I have the same problem since today. why?

It is fine just before yestoday?

I have the same problem. The device restarts when changing to the next video in a youtube playlist.

Latest firmware. Was working last week. Nothing changed in my setup.

WDTV Live gen 3 FW1.15
Did a factory reset - same problem.
Downgraded to 1.14 - same problem.
Re-upgraded to 1.15 - same problem.

Any input appreciated.

1 Like

YouTube app causing the WD LIVE device to restart , since the youtube app changed certain terms and conditions thus requiring the user to sign in again , WD support - please help

1 Like

/* EDIT  YouTube app is starting for me after powercycle.  But, I still get the crash when playlist advances. */

Similar issue.  After starting YouTube, the device just hangs for several minutes.   Eventually I see the YouTube logo and red/white progress indicator.  The progress indicator bar slowly fills.  I eventually gave up (20 minutes in?), at 75% progress bar, and pressed ‘Menu’ on the remote.

Seems YouTube changed thier API, and broke it.  Doesn’t WD pay licensing fees?  I wonder if YouTube notifies about these changes, so companies like WD could make firmware changes before the product stops working.

Or, maybe these aren’t supposed to be catastrophic changes?  But, poor programming causes this sort of nonsense.  Overall, I’m happy with my two WD TV SMPs.  But, sometimes it does feel like amateur hour.

Between this issue, and the broken content scraping, I think its about time for a new firmware.

1 Like

@misantropus

Can you explain how to do a “hard reset”?  So far, all I tried was the ‘reset device but keep active logins’ option, but to no avail (didn’t feel like having to sign back in to everything again).

Also, just to clarify, when I press chapter prev/ next to manually advance the next item in playlist, no reboot happens, it’s only when it automatically advances; everything else about the app works as it used to.

Hello, whydo.

Look at the bottom of the device, where you’ll see a tiny hole named “reset”. So insert there something and push softly during 2-3 seconds. When you stop doing this, the device will reset. Have in mind that you’ll loose all the config.

Reset the machine is useless. I even have change a new machine. the same problem.

1 Like

yes I am getting this as well, machines been fine up until the last five days or so, and now every time it moves from one youtube video to the next it reboots, reset has not helped. something has changed that is outside my control. this device is shelved until WD cares to address it.

2 Likes

Had the same issue for the last couple of days. Tried again tonight and youtube play list feature seem to be working again.

I confirm the problem, i tried with four device with fw 1.12, 1.14 and 1.15. I do factory reset on all devices and the problem still facing out today.

This is the issue ticket in issue area, please guys give the kudos to this error:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Issue/WDTV-Live-Streaming-Gen3-device-restarts-in-YouTube-app/idc-p/573012#M6072

1 Like

Youtube play list rebooting issue reared its ugly head again.

Recently Youtube did lots of interface changes to Leanback,

I guess that could be cause of trouble.

Hello,

This issue was already reported to the proper department.

1 Like

I just ran into this recently as I was checking out the updated Youtube player on the device (been using dlna via serviio media center to stream channels instead). Youtube doesn’t load right half the time anyways in FF with adblock and no script. Videos just sit there. Assume it’s waiting for ads or something else. Quite the problem.

Yeah, it crashes and restarts alot now when loading the next clip on Youtube. Annoying as **bleep**…

Between this problem and WD still not fixing the frame drops/skips with many 24fps mkv’s I’m getting fed up with this device. :angry:

2 Likes

PatrikB wrote:

Yeah, it crashes and restarts alot now when loading the next clip on Youtube. Annoying as **bleep**…

Between this problem and WD still not fixing the frame drops/skips with many 24fps mkv’s I’m getting fed up with this device. :angry:

Agreed. I’ve tried some XBMC boxes but they seem to need hand holding as well (setting up a shared single sql db as well as space for artwork). I could go the plex/roku route but plex in roku looks like **bleep** plus I have to convert my huge library. Oh well.

Baconnaise wrote:

PatrikB wrote:

Agreed. I’ve tried some XBMC boxes but they seem to need hand holding as well (setting up a shared single sql db as well as space for artwork). I could go the plex/roku route but plex in roku looks like **bleep** plus I have to convert my huge library. Oh well.

Im considering getting the Haswell version of Intels NUC later this year, either to run openelec or full Windows 8/XBMC.

Unless of course WD can actually fix the problems so the SMP deliver what I bought it for…

1 Like