Won't Read Hard Drives and the Network Shares Stop after a Minute

OK. I didn’t know about the bad files. Am I right in thinking this is the MKV header compression issue?

If so that is documented here for anyone who subsequently finds this post and is wondering what is going on.

I had a whole host of things happen around the same time: gargoyle installed on router, NAS firmware update for heartbleed and a variety of new files that I worked through. The thing I didn’t know was that after the player cracks the **bleep**s getting it back to a working state involves so many resets and such a long time unplugged to be sure. This means that when I worked through resetting all the other items and after it and a new unit wouldn’t play old files that always worked I was at a loss.

I think your bad file hint is the one here as everything is pointing that way:

• Both units affected
  • Other hardware unaffected for the same files (computers, tablets etc)
  • Previous good files unaffected
  • Old unit using same firmware for years

I’ll try fixing the files, resetting the unit as per the link and then report back (may take a couple of days). If it works then hopefully this can be flagged up as the main issue and fix as I sure wouldn’t have found it without your response just then, despite hours of searching. Bloody weird that it even affects it seeing network shares and all sorts afterwards.