Windows 10 Issues

I had all working on Win 8.1, but now at Win 10, I have issues:

1. I suspect this is a Win prob, but I can not get a login with anonymous when using the sys as Windows Share.  I only want to use this since I was my primary WD access method to Win 8.1.

2. If I use Media Share access method for Win 10, I can get in and see things.  However, I wish it would use the filename in the WD display rather than the metadata Title.  If there is a Title for the file, I see that as the entity name, if there is no title, I see the prefered filename.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hi JeeperDon,

Note that Windows 10 is not a supported OS, so you might run into some problems, I would recommend to make sure that the folders you would like to access are correctly shared on the network. The following link is for Windows 8.1, but see if you can make it work.  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/share-files-folders

Thanks, that points to the PC end of sharing as a Windows Share.  I knew how to do that part since I had this all working fine with Windows/Netweork Share on Win8.1  This is about my point 1) above, which I acknowledged is likely a Windows 10 issue.  I just took a shot in the dark on that one by posting here, maybe others are trying Win 10.

My point 2) above would be nice to solve though.  When using Media Share, is there a way on the WD end to make the display use file names (like it does when Windows/Network Share works) rather than metadata titles?

Exactly the same issue here. I spent hours yesterday but like you, could not get Network Shares to work. It won’t get past the login / password page.

I have another computer on the network running 8.1, and the one running 10 is set up exactly the same, but won’t connect.

It works fine with Tversity media player, so until the two companies, WD & Microsoft get together on this, we’ll have to use media servers.

So, if it makes you feel any better, you’re not alone.

PS The “play to” feature still works though.

Sorry but Windows 10 is an unfinished product, in pre-alpha state, it is not intended for consumers.

I am running into the same issues after a fresh install of Windows 10, i love the OS in some of the new features that get away from the METRO touch screen **bleep**,  but i have run into the exact issues listed above “invalid username and password” trying to log into my Network Share that worked perfectly just last week on WIN 8.1, Hopefull as more people try out the Preview we will get a fix for this

Add me to the list of people who spents hours trying to get a folder to share.  Errrrrrr  Wish I would have read this post sooner.  

I’m likeing Windows 10 too!  Someone find a fix!  

I found the fix!

You need to create a local account on the pc you are sharing from. Not a microsoft account. You can still have your main account associated with Microsoft, we just need to create a second one for sharing permissions.

1.  PC Settings > Users and Accounts > Add a user

2.  Sign in without a microsoft account

3. Select Local Account

I made an account called WDTV with a generic password thats easy to type on the remote haha.

Made that account an administrator

Restarted both my computer and the WDTV, connected to the share and BAM!!

davieboy wrote:

I found the fix!

You need to create a local account on the pc you are sharing from. Not a microsoft account. You can still have your main account associated with Microsoft, we just need to create a second one for sharing permissions.

1.  PC Settings > Users and Accounts > Add a user
  1.  Sign in without a microsoft account
  1. Select Local Account

I made an account called WDTV with a generic password thats easy to type on the remote haha.

Made that account an administrator

Restarted both my computer and the WDTV, connected to the share and BAM!!

This was an excellent, detailed, and accurate work-a-round Davieboy! Thanks so much for sharing!

Good grief, it took forever to create a stupid account just to try and help:

None of that is necessary.  You can simply turn off password protected sharing and then you should be good to go again.

Open Network Sharing center > click Change advanced sharing settings > click All Networks > turn off password protected sharing

You may want to turn on network discovery and file & printer sharing if it’s off.

Your anonymous login should be good to go again.

Enjoy

1 Like

Works a treat. Well spotted my friend!

Hi, i went throuh but I can’t still see the shared content.

Any idea?

are you serious? its being worked on rights since the world is being upgraded to windows 10…

Hi,I have just changed to windows 10 and can’t get past the password.every thing was working fine on windows 7.Any know how to get on to windows share?

I had the same issue and was beating my head against the wall then I found the thread below about downgrading the firmware.  Surprisingly it worked!  Thanks JoeySmyth!

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/2-02-32-Firmware-no-longer-allows-content/td-p/781923

no worries, hope your head is ok :smileyvery-happy:

1 Like