Widescreen videos being stretched vertically on 4:3 screen

I’m a new owner of a WD TV Live Stream media player.

I’m noticing that widescreen videos that I’m streaming from my PC to the WD box, viewed on a 4:3 TV via composite connection, are being displayed as a stretched (vertically) video… instead of the letterboxing at top & bottom, the full height of the screen is filled, resulting in the image being stretched.

I have the video playback options set to Normal (as opposed to Widescreen), which I think is correct.

I have the latest firmware.

Any help to be offered?

Did you fiddle with the screen format controls of your TV to see how that affects it as well?  Basically, the WD is made for “modern” TV’s that are widescreen.  Go locate the user guide for your WDTV model on WD support, download it, and look through it for any suggestions for improving things here.

Yeah, I know I’m definitely old school with the old TV.  lol  One day I’ll upgrade out of the last century. :stuck_out_tongue:

In the mean time, I’m not sure if it’s coincidence, or if it actually is what solved the issue for me, but I switched the WD box from Normal format to widescreen, then back to normal, and it then it played fine for several videos that I tested.  Will see if the ‘fix’ holds… but at least it may be a work-around if the problem comes back for me.

Yeah, I know I’m definitely old school with the old TV.  lol  One day I’ll upgrade out of the last century.

I did things differently . . .  first bought the widescreen TV, and THEN bought the add-on gadgets to take advantage of the new widescreen TV, like a blu-ray player, WDTV, etc. It makes for a more satisfying experience that way.   :wink:

There’s an option somewhere under VIDEO where you set the screen from wide to normal or something.

I did things differently . . .  first bought the widescreen TV, and THEN bought the add-on gadgets to take advantage of the new widescreen TV, like a blu-ray player, WDTV, etc. It makes for a more satisfying experience that way.

Yeah, but just think how my mind will be blown when I finally do get an HDTV.  :stuck_out_tongue:

/also known as… one day my wife will decide that a new TV is a worthy use of our money.  LOL

1 Like

Yep.  So  for now, you can surely just enjoy your new WDTV.  Hope you got it working right now.