Why there shouldn't be problems with the new upgrade/upgrades

I’m just writing some small thoughts about why I think there shouldn’t be any problems with new firmware releases.

Most people on this forum are somewhat good at computers and networking but most people who buy this kind of device are reliant on it to work without “special fixes”. If a company releases a firmware that needs tech-support for most users, they are not doing their work. New releases should be fool-proof.

When people have a problem, the company shouldn’t try to look down on the people who actually pay their salary, they should really try to help. I’ve seen lot’s of examples where people who want help just gets the cold shoulder.

The most common reply to the latest problem (firmware 2.01.86) is that it has something to do with WiFi-connection. Well, since I don’t use that and still have a problem, I have a hard time believing it.

In  conclusion:

1. Make firmware-upgrades that are fool-proof, or noob-proof, if you will

2. Please don’t make up complicated “fixes” to problems.

If you don’t there soon won’t be anyone paying your salarys anymore…

Just finished rolling back my firmware to the last one that worked and everything works again. What about people who don’t know how to do that? :cry:

Well, that would be nice, but mistakes happen. Plus, there are endless other types of devices, network configurations, software setups, etc. It would be impossible for them to test them all.

I know it’s frustrating, but I’m sure some very smart people are already looking in to it. So, please be patient.

Although, I will agree that the “well, it works for me. I don’t know what your problem is” comments are unwarranted.

This is a user to user forum and not WD support, for that you have to phone or email them. 

Users are free to post what they believe is the solution. It is also important for users to report that they had no problems after updating as this tells us that this is not an entirely broken firmware. Unfortunately you are always going to get the gloaters but that’s just human nature. 

Berling wrote:

What about people who don’t know how to [roll back firmware]? :cry:

That’s why WD publishes detailed instructions in their support webpages:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/

It is very frustrating to have some people state that they had absolutely no problems upgrading to firmware 2.01.86. Logically, if you never had any problems with windows network shares before and you never changed any of the settings and you lose windows network shares after the latest firmware upgrade (and never with any other of the many previous firmware upgrades since FEB 2012) then I would conclude that there is a major flaw with the recent firmware upgrade.

Since I was probably one of the first to attempt the upgrade, I did call customer service about my problems. They were clue less and all they could do was give me a case number:

Case # [Deleted for privacy].

They also promised to call me back with 24 hours which never happened. Shame on the customer service rep [Deleted] in the tech department.

flash214 wrote:

Logically, if you … lose windows network shares after the latest firmware upgrade…then I would conclude that there is a major flaw with the recent firmware upgrade.

Take care with that reasoning.  Logically speaking, that’s a fallacy called Post Hoc Ergo Proptor Hoc.

One cannot reach that conclusion since one cannot stipulate that there weren’t bugs present that actually allowed people’s shares to function when they shouldn’t have to begin with.    Or that buttressing the SMP’s Samba system may have exposed an issue with Windows configuration… or any other number of possibilities.

Until we know the cause, we cannot say the fault is WD’s, regardless of how tempting the “logic.”

That’s why I offered this, but so far, no takers…

flash214 wrote:

It is very frustrating to have some people state that they had absolutely no problems upgrading to firmware 2.01.86. Logically, if you never had any problems with windows network shares before and you never changed any of the settings and you lose windows network shares after the latest firmware upgrade (and never with any other of the many previous firmware upgrades since FEB 2012) then I would conclude that there is a major flaw with the recent firmware upgrade.

Since I was probably one of the first to attempt the upgrade, I did call customer service about my problems. They were clue less and all they could do was give me a case number:

Case # 121113-7830201.

They also promised to call me back with 24 hours which never happened. Shame on the customer service rep Robert in the tech department.

There may well be a major flaw but as you can see it does not affect everybody. Some users updated without problems and can access all their shares both wired and by WiFi and others cannot. What is the logic of that. Obviously the cause is not known at this time, but the more feedback that is given on this forum then the more chance there is of a solution.

I assume that you have attempted to contact them again for more information?

TonyPh12345 wrote:> Until we know the cause, we cannot say the fault is WD’s, regardless of how tempting the “logic.”

That’s why I offered this, but so far, no takers…

Disappointing to say the least Tony. Your offer was / is extremely generous and very cool. I for one would love to see some of you with issues take up Tony on his offer so we can all gain some important information from his skills.

Out of all the folks with network share issues, not one of you will step up and provide data to Tony so he can try and help you out? He’s offering his time and skills to help solve this issue for all of us. Mine is working, or I would have sent him the requested capture immediately.

:confounded:

-P

flash214 wrote:

It is very frustrating to have some people state that they had absolutely no problems upgrading to firmware 2.01.86.

Right.  Much better to have only those having problems post so that it appears 100% of users are having problems instead of the true limited percent.  Sheesh.

I put off applying the update when I saw a few initial problem reports, but after seeing that none of the long-term regulars were having any issues, I went ahead.  So I definitely want to see both negative and positive reports.  Tough luck that this makes you unhappy.