Why stop supporting it?

Why w.d. stop support the wd tv live gen3?

The latest firmware was 12-2013 and the player has a lot of issues that can be fixed with a firmware update but as i see w.d. stop supporting it. The wd tv live gen2 does it support it for more time than the wd tv live gen3 WHY THAT?

Is this true?

I didn’t knew that WD is stopping support.

This is not a statement but what I BELIEVE wd do because it has so many months to releease new firmware.

Why?  The product is getting long in the tooth and the space has been taken over by companies much larger in this segment than WD.  (i.e. Apple, Google, Amazon, Roku).

WD is smart enough to focus and what they are good at.  Hard drives.  I would not expect anything new in terms of products or significant upgrades to the old stuff.

Is the roku good media players?

dcb917 wrote:
I would not expect anything new in terms of products or significant upgrades to the old stuff.

I do.

Me to i except a new media player from w.d.
I don’t want to find that w.d. stop create media players.

Only w.d. knows when it will release the newer media player if it will released new media player…

dcb917 wrote:

Why?  The product is getting long in the tooth and the space has been taken over by companies much larger in this segment than WD.  (i.e. Apple, Google, Amazon, Roku).

WD is smart enough to focus and what they are good at.  Hard drives.  I would not expect anything new in terms of products or significant upgrades to the old stuff.

The Apple-, Google- and Amazon-boxes/dongles are made for the respective walled-garden or vendor-lockin. No thanks, I’ll pass.

AFAIK the Roku is more focused on streaming than being a networked media player. Nothing I’m interested in.

Which leaves us with the WDTV or a selfmade XBMC-HTPC. Yay.

And re: hard-drives: WD is going to get a sick beating from the SSD-makers in the next few years.

You folks maybe right.  WD has a niche and may decide to release another generation.  I just don’t see it, it is a niche and the last product they released was a cheaper version and a failure.  Time iwll tell.

schwurbel wrote:

The Apple-, Google- and Amazon-boxes/dongles are made for the respective walled-garden or vendor-lockin. No thanks, I’ll pass.

AFAIK the Roku is more focused on streaming than being a networked media player. Nothing I’m interested in.

Which leaves us with the WDTV or a selfmade XBMC-HTPC. Yay.

And re: hard-drives: WD is going to get a sick beating from the SSD-makers in the next few years.

Actually, that’s not completly correct.  The Amazon Fire TV runs XBMC just fine, as do several other Android media boxes/dongles.  You no longer need a HTPC to run XBMC, example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN_OAUYoMpI

This is not to say that they are a replacement, just yet, for WDLiveTV’s.  There are still limitations for most Android/ARM boxes/dongles, some are limited on the codecs (audio/video) and most will not pass-through DTS-HD or TrueHD (some claim too, but most will not yet), but that’s just do to most SoCs not having the proper drivers to due so.  But, if like me, you can live with DTS/DD pass-through and re-encode everything to mkv/h.264 anyway, then those limitations don’t matter so much.

However, this is the wave of things to come.  Any new media streamers are going to be ARM based and either run a modified Android ROM, like the Fire TV’s FireOS or Ouya for example or Google TV (now Android TV).  And although most here that have a WDTV (including myself) are more interested in local media playback, no company, including WD, will release a media player without being able to include network services because it comes down to numbers.

So is there any chance to see newer firmware for that product or not?

I believe you stop supporting it even it is the latest media player even newer than simple wd tv gen3 that you release newer firmware.