Why doesn't my "new" WD TB Live see my wireless network that my "old" one does? Help!

I have owned the older version of WD TV Live ( WDBAAN0000NBK ) for almost 18 months.  I used it wirelessly, together with the Linksys WUSB600N Adapter, together with with the Netgear Dual-Band WNDR3700 router.

I have it setup to run in 802.11n, using the 5Ghz mode (which supports DLNA).  No problems!

I got the new WD TV Live today ( WDBHG70000NBK ) and although it clearely states on the outside of the box that it supports 802.11b/g/n, it doesnt see my network (escept for the 2.4Ghz one, which I only want to use for internet usage and it doesn’t support DLNA).

After spening 1 hour on trying to figure things out, I came up on the following “gem” in the manual on page 22.  It reads:

“Note:  The recommended setting on Wireless N routers is 802.11n-only with a channel width of 20/40 MHz. If you are using a wireless-N access point (AP) and it has been set to operate in 802.11n mode with a security setting of anything other than WPA2-PSK+AES or None, then media player will operate at lower 802.11g rates. Disabling wireless security is not recommended.”

What the HECK does this mean?   I went as far as changing my setting of the 5Ghz band router setup to

Channel 40

Security: WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]   and even tried with NO SECURITY

and still, WD TV Live cannot find (either Automatically or Manually) my Wireless connection.

I also understand that I cannot plug-in my Linksys WUSB600N Adapter into the unit, as wireless dongles are not supported by this unit.

Can someone please explain to me how to solve this problem?   I did update my firmware to the latest version, but it still has not provided any solution.

I want to be able to run the new WD TV Live on my 2nd Band (5Ghz), otherwise, what’s the point of using a dual-band router?

Simple.   The WiFi in the SMP is only 2.4 GHz.   

The manual is pretty clear.   They recommend you run 2.4 Ghz in N-mode only, not mixed-mode b/g/n.

If you operate in N-mode with a security setting OTHER than WPA2+PSK/AES, then it is forced to operate in mixed mode.

That’s just the way it is…   If you have to use wireless, and mixed-mode doesn’t give you adequate performance, then you might need to buy another AP, put it on its own channel, and make it N-mode only.

That is SO stupid.  That’s why this product is going back where I bought it.

Fine, if WD wants to be cheap and not support 5Ghz, that’s fine.  But let me have a choice if I want to put in an EXTERNAL USB-based 802.11n card that does support it.  Like in geenration 1 product – which still has not been fully fixed.

This is for sure the last WD media product that I am buying from this co.

There IS an option if you want it.

Go buy an 802.11n 5ghz AP and configure it in client mode to bridge with your 5ghz access point. Then connect your WD Live via ethernet to the device.

1 Like