When will WD TV Live Media Player generation 4 be released?

I want to get  WD TV Live Media Player but I noticed it came out in 2011 and was wondering if they are planning on releasing a successor, I don’t want to get this one if they are coming out with a new one soon, I asked WD but could not get an answer.

Ask this guy … he might know :wink:

Seriously though … nobody knows (this is a user forum)

2 Likes

LoL. I agree i think wdtv live feels dated. I think wd is just waiting for the next gen formats (HEVC) before they release anthing. Im still hoping they add twitch on their apps:confounded:

JoeySmyth wrote:

Ask this guy … he might know :wink:

I asked that guy, but he told me his crystal ball was in the shop for a 10,000 prediction tune-up and he was back logged for 6  months. :) 

2 Likes

@BlueFrame

I agree about HEVC (H.265) format and will probably wait until Hardware Media Players are capable of this due to higher demands for processing power.  (or i might just go the HTPC route)

As a quick search example: http://www.acethought.com/AceThought_HEVC_Solutions.pdf

Quad Core ARM Cortex-A9 1.2 GHz processor with NEON

FULL 1080P @ 30fps Bitrate 3Mbps   CPU LOAD 90%

Tinwarble wrote: I asked that guy, but he told me his crystal ball was in the shop for a 10,000 prediction tune-up and he was back logged for 6  months. :) 

Lol :smileyvery-happy:

Surely it would be better to fix all the known problems on this device before moving on to the next?! :laughing:

I would buy a new WDTV with:

a) Audio bit perfect passthrough from 44.1KHz to 192KHz, for playing FLAC music with (optical spdif and hdmi output).

b) Android and Iphone software or web browser interface to browse and payback music files with TV off.

c) Full HD interface with high definition and low compression covers, no low quality cache compression.

d) PDF reader for reading magazies.

e) Photo viewer that can zoom fotos with higher than fullhd resolution.

What you guys would like to have in a new media player?

Will it be a while before next gen formats (HEVC) are around?

What you guys would like to have in a new media player?

For it to work straight out of the box without all the bugs and fixes and effing around in order to have the product do what it’s advertised to do.

But to be honest this is the first and probably the last WD product I’ll ever buy.

Any news on this?

No, no new players have been released in the last two weeks…

1 Like