WDTVLive - There is no media available for playback - Music files

WDTVLive are now not playing my music files.

Steps to reproduce:

WDTVLive Menu - > Music,

Click Red (Select Content Source)

Select Media Server

Select on LAPTOP:NAME

Then I get a message: There is no media available for playback

But when I try this for Pictures or Videos then I do not get the message and I can view the content. I only get this message when selecting Music.

The second issue is in Windows Media Player Play To

This use to work where I can select any Video, Music, or Picture file and hit Play To and it plays in WDTVLive. This stopped working and all I get is a message saying Failed to retrieve media information from media server.

More information:

The WDTVLive displays as a Media Device in Networks on Windows 7 when using Explorer.

However, WDTVLive is not displayed on the Network Sharing Center's Wireless Connection Network map. Its says The following discovered device(s) can not be placed on the map: WDTVLive.

I rebooted WDTVLive, kept it unplugged from the power wall plug for 10 min, then retried. Also, I rebuilt my Windows Media Player Library. The above issues remain.

What now?

WDTVLIVE_01,

Do you encounter the same issue when using Network Shares or USB devices as opposed to Media Servers? Also, have you tried with different DLNA Media Servers in order to confirm if the issue is isolated to Microsoft Windows Media Player?

Thank you for your response.

Your questions are much appreciated, and probably needs some more clarrification what the questions have to do with answering my opeing post questions.  [Deleted]

Here goes:

1. USB Devices (tested a FAT32) - works:   WDTVLive reads/plays the music files.

2. Network Shares:

2.1 My NAS Network Share works:   WDTVLive reads/plays the music files.

2.2  Windows Network Shares:  WDTVLive reads/plays Video, Picture and Music for PUBLIC files as expected.  

Surpisingly, WDTVLive reads/plays Video and Picture for PC USER NAME files  - my pc_user folders were not shared, so why is WDTVLive reading it and playing it?   Also, WDTVLive does not read/play Music for PC USER NAME files.  If it did then maybe I can live with the assertion that WDTVLive does not respect security via DNLA streaming .

Seems like WDTVLive’s Windows Media Shares is for: LAPTOP:NAME   (The NAME being the PC_USER name)

But WDTVLive’s Windows Network Shares is for: LAPTOP  (not the user, but all users and public)

Back to my original questions again:

Why does WDTVLive not read/play/stream my Windows Media Server music files?

Why is my Play To in WMP12 not streaming to the WDTVLive?

Why is WDTVLive not displayed on the Win7’s Network Sharing Center’s Wireless Connection Network map?

[Deleted]

Why does WDTVLive read/play/stream Video and Picture for Windows Network Shares PC_USER_NAME files when I did not share any folders for my pc_user?  

Why does WDTVLive read/play/stream Video and Picture for Windows Network Shares PC_USER_NAME files AND NOT the Music for Windows Network Shares PC_USER_NAME files?

Please help.  Something strange is going on and I’m not convinced it’s Windows 7 and/or WMP 12 at fault.

[Deleted] The WDTV cannot bypass and system’s security so if there’s shares it can access it’s because you (inadvertently) or the media server shared them. Check your shares and file permissions.

[Deleted]

I HAVE NOT SHARED ANY OF MY FOLDERS ON MY LAPTOP.  I would expect WDTVLive to see my Laptop Public Folders because these are enabled by default to be shared by Win7 because user Everyone is ticked by default by Win7.  Nothing new here.  

User Folders are shared only when you enable Homegroup and media streaming in Win7.  That is why folders for the user will have the Homegroup as ticked by default by Win7.  Nothing new here.

I double checked again –

Folder Options, TAB Sharing:

User Folders (Video, Music, Picture) are all the same: Homegroup’s Permission level = Read, User’s Permission level = Read/Write.

Public Folders (Video, Music, Picture) are all the same:  Admin’s Permission level = Owner, Everyone’s Permission level = Read/Write, User’s Permission level = Read/Write.

Folder Options, TAB Security:

These are all the same for User Folders (Video, Music, Picture).

And the same for Public Folders (Video, Music, Picture).

As stated before, nothing new here.  I am not sure why you ask me this again, when I already told you I have checked this, there is nothing strange here, all defaults.  You may as well have just said to me that I need to check Win 7, WMP 12, and my WDTVLive to make sure it works, duh.  You were not specific, you did not say what to look for, but you just restated what I already said I checked.  Why on earth would you do that?[Deleted]

Also, the WMP 12 Play To via WMP12 is not streaming any Picture, Video or Music files to the WDTVLive.  The WDTV is not appearing on my wireless network map. [Deleted]

Ok lets go back a little here.

First, apparently you didn’t see the “Staff” underneath JStaff’s name.  This means they work for WD so I really doubt that he is trying to feed you a red herring (which is something you must have just learned with the number of times you repeat it) nor is he being a troll.

Second. the reason that those questions were asked is as so to narrow down what might be causing the issue, if you can access and play the media from a network share or USB drive then that narrows it down to being a issue with UPnP/DLNA specifically.   And if you had tried a different Media Server, as suggested, then if the offending files did play then that would narrow it down to the current Media Server you are using (ie: WMP).

No one can come to your house and see what is causing the issue, nor is anyone clarivoyant enough to be able to help you without asking questions.  Even if you think those questions have nothing to do with your current issue, the answers to those questions can “narrow it down”.

Third, from what you have stated, it appears that the most likely problem that you are having is on your PC side, more specifically there is a issue with WMP, which is common.  Especially since you are apparently having issues with the “Play to” feature of WMP.   Or you have issues with your Network share permissions.

In Windows 7 - Network and Sharing Center / Choose homegroup and sharing options, then make sure everything you want to share is ticked.

You also need to make sure all stream options from WMP are set correctly.

Forth, UPnP/DLNA is probably the worst way to access media from a WDTV Live (really from any device) and is only something neccessary to use if:

1. You have a device that does not allow for direct share access

2. The device you have will not decode the file types you have and need to be transcoded for your device to play those files.

You can save yourself a lot of time and headache by first making sure the files you wish to access on you PC are shared.

Then on the SMP, go to Setup / System / Media Library / Media Library Manager for Network Share / Add network share to media library, the navigate to the specific folder you want to access and Add that share to the Media Library.  Then repeat for any other folder you wish to add to the Media Library.

Then when you’re in Videos, Music, etc. press the red button on the remote and select My Media Library.

Also, I would suggest that when you have a issue and someone replies with a question, whether you think that question has anything specific to do with your issue or not, you might want to take a step back before insinuating that they are serving you up a “red herring” or that they are trolling.  Because someone may know just a little more than you and may need answers to what you may perceive to unrelated questions to be able to get to the actual problem.

Hmm, let’s slow down and get back on topic.

1. You have a lot of issues and it’s an extremely complex post to read. I know they can be inter-related and you are trying to give good data, but paring it down will help others help you.

2. Have to agree with Techflaws but from a little different angle. It’s the responsibility of the Media Server and it’s Admin to secure it from incoming requests. If you can get there from your SMP, then it’s open somehow. 

See if we can try to solve one issue at a time, may help.

-P

Hi guys, I edited some of your post to keep the conversation civil. Please respect each other. 

pearl wrote:
2) Have to agree with Techflaws but from a little different angle. It’s the responsibility of the Media Server and it’s Admin to secure it from incoming requests. If you can get there from your SMP, then it’s open somehow. 

That’s no different angle but exactly what I said: if the WD can access his server/PC it’s obviously in NO WAY the WDTV’s fault. Everyone who’s not a red herring would get this immediately.

Tinwarble wrote:

Ok lets go back a little here.

First, apparently you didn’t see the “Staff” underneath JStaff’s name.  This means they work for WD so I really doubt that he is trying to feed you a red herring (which is something you must have just learned with the number of times you repeat it) nor is he being a troll.

Second. the reason that those questions were asked is as so to narrow down what might be causing the issue, if you can access and play the media from a network share or USB drive then that narrows it down to being a issue with UPnP/DLNA specifically.   And if you had tried a different Media Server, as suggested, then if the offending files did play then that would narrow it down to the current Media Server you are using (ie: WMP).

No one can come to your house and see what is causing the issue, nor is anyone clarivoyant enough to be able to help you without asking questions.  Even if you think those questions have nothing to do with your current issue, the answers to those questions can “narrow it down”.

Third, from what you have stated, it appears that the most likely problem that you are having is on your PC side, more specifically there is a issue with WMP, which is common.  Especially since you are apparently having issues with the “Play to” feature of WMP.   Or you have issues with your Network share permissions.

In Windows 7 - Network and Sharing Center / Choose homegroup and sharing options, then make sure everything you want to share is ticked.

You also need to make sure all stream options from WMP are set correctly.

Forth, UPnP/DLNA is probably the worst way to access media from a WDTV Live (really from any device) and is only something neccessary to use if:

1. You have a device that does not allow for direct share access
  1. The device you have will not decode the file types you have and need to be transcoded for your device to play those files.

You can save yourself a lot of time and headache by first making sure the files you wish to access on you PC are shared.

Then on the SMP, go to Setup / System / Media Library / Media Library Manager for Network Share / Add network share to media library, the navigate to the specific folder you want to access and Add that share to the Media Library.  Then repeat for any other folder you wish to add to the Media Library.

Then when you’re in Videos, Music, etc. press the red button on the remote and select My Media Library.

Also, I would suggest that when you have a issue and someone replies with a question, whether you think that question has anything specific to do with your issue or not, you might want to take a step back before insinuating that they are serving you up a “red herring” or that they are trolling.  Because someone may know just a little more than you and may need answers to what you may perceive to unrelated questions to be able to get to the actual problem.

Oh my dear Tinwarble,

What nerve you have.

Below find my reply to your off topic post:

First, you are assuming I did not see the “Staff” under his name.  Assertion fallacy.

Second, I stated clearly that I have not changed any defaults.  So why did he ask me this again?  Why do you ask me this again?  He did not state WHY he was asking it.  My opening question was indeed all about UPnP/DLNA anyway. You are mearly stating the obvious, and justifying it with someone else that stated teh obvious.  That is called cCircular reasoning lined with a solid red herring.  And he ran away, refusing to address his red herring.  As predicted, he wasted his and my time.  And now your time too.

I did not ask anyone to come to my house, did I?  Btw, nice assumption (again) that the WDTVLive is at my house.   What does your irrlevant presupposition have to do with my issues? 

Third, how do you know it is on my PC side?  Are you guessing here?  Why would it be WMP12 if WDTVLive is not even consistent in what it reads from Win7?  You see, you are making assumptions in order to avoid my questions.

And then you go and tell me how to configure Network and Sharing Center in Windows…  As if I have not done it already, or cannot do it…   How do you think I came across my issues in the 1st place?  Do you think I could have these issues if I did not setup Network and Sharing Center in Windows?  can you at least answer that?

I have to highlight this from you:

“You also need to make sure all stream options from WMP are set correctly.”

Sigh, really?  Are you sure?  Maybe I should make sure that all settings in WDTVLive, WIn7 and WMP 12 are correct.    There is no need to say what specific settings, is there, or what makes these setting correct vs incorrect?  Why would WD or MS provide settings that are not correct? Are you now suggesting the incorrect settings are bugs?  That my WDTVLive may have a bug (defective programming code)?  That is in direct conflict with your previous unjustified conclusion.  Gee.

Forth, why is UPnP/DLNA the worst way to share?  if it is so **bleep**, why does it exist?  What makes Network Shares different and better?  The two points you mentioned is irrelevant again.  You also seem to miss the fact that that Network Share option gives me more issues than the Media Share option.  And I suspect that solving the Media Share issue will resolve the Network Share issues.  But you refuse to address this, other than offering preaching.  That is your logical fallacy again, again.

And then you go and preach to me how to configure Network Shares in WDTVLive, hinting to share folders in Win7.  But hey, you are guessing that WMP12 is the issue…  What happened to that?  What about if I do not want to share my user Folders because Public folders are shared already as Network Shares?  Why does WDTVLive access my Pictures and Video folders using Network Shares when there is no Sharing enabled in WIn7?  You seem to ignore my issues completely?  All you saying are to go and set it up in a way that you think it should work for me.  That is not logical at all.

Also, I would suggest that when you try and answer someone questions to actually read what the question is.  Making wild assumptions, preaching and making allegations are not something that you would prefer to be known for.  I suspect that just because you did not read my questions either, is why you would assume that I have not set it up.  That is irony for you, and ironically it renders you post pretty useless.

You could have just referred me to the WDTVLive’s user/set-up manual. 

@Techflaws; I guess we’ll have to agree to agree then…

-P

pearl wrote:
2) Have to agree with Techflaws but from a little different angle. It’s the responsibility of the Media Server and it’s Admin to secure it from incoming requests. If you can get there from your SMP, then it’s open somehow. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Then Tech Flaws started encreasing entropy again:

That’s no different angle but exactly what I said: if the WD can access his server/PC it’s obviously in NO WAY the WDTV’s fault. Everyone who’s not a red herring would get this immediately.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

But WDTVLive it is not accessing my Music Media on my Win7 PC.  That is the issue.   You seem to ignore this completely.

Why would you offer irrlevant conclusions first and try and justify it afterwards?  You seem to conclude that WDTVLive is not at fault, by using a justification that WDTVLive can access my media.  But WDTVLive can not access my media.  Perhaps pay attention to the falsifiable evidence before you offer conjecture as unjustified conclusions. 

Btw, you can not be a red herring.  Any person that don’t offer red herring logical fallacies would get this immediately.

You have stated that you made the “… assertion that WDTVLive does not respect security via DNLA streaming …” 

I believe that is incorrect. Many of us use DLNA Media Servers that we can secure and choose which directories are accessed. I have no experience with WMP so cannot give you any suggestions.

I think that will be it for me… 

Out…

-P

pearl wrote:

You have stated that you made the “… assertion that WDTVLive does not respect security via DNLA streaming …” 

I believe that is incorrect. Many of us use DLNA Media Servers that we can secure and choose which directories are accessed. I have no experience with WMP so cannot give you any suggestions.

I think that will be it for me… 

Out…

-P

Yep.

You are assuming that WMP12 is the Media Server and offers shares/security and not Win7.  Really?

So, basically you can not answer my questions, because you are making your own false presuppositions, yet you replied.  Why increase entropy (replying) if you can not address my issues or answer my questions?

You should not make excuses for your incoherency.

If the Win7 Sharing/Security is exactly the same for Picture, Music, and Video folders, why is WDTVLive not able to access Music files, but can access Picture, and Video files?   Why is it that you just ignore this?

pearl wrote:

Hmm, let’s slow down and get back on topic.

1. You have a lot of issues and it’s an extremely complex post to read. I know they can be inter-related and you are trying to give good data, but paring it down will help others help you.

See if we can try to solve one issue at a time, may help.

-P

Here is the issue.  Am surprised you missed it:

WDTVLive are now not playing my music files. 

Steps to reproduce:

WDTVLive Menu - > Music,

Click Red (Select Content Source)

Select Media Server

Select on LAPTOP:NAME

Then I get a message: There is no media available for playback

But when I try this for Pictures or Videos then I do not get the message and I can view the content. I only get this message when selecting Music.

here is the issue again (in case you missed it again):  WDTVLive are now not playing my music files.

You could obviously just have read my Subject of my post and got to the issues as well.

WDTVLIVE_01 wrote:

If the Win7 Sharing/Security is exactly the same for Picture, Music, and Video folders, why is WDTVLive not able to access Music files, but can access Picture, and Video files?   Why is it that you just ignore this?

I have already given you your answer, but no one is going to want to help you because you appear to take issue with any suggestions or when anyone asks a question.  Claiming that other users are ignoring your original question.

Again, if you can access your videos and pictures, but just not you music, then the issue is on you PC/Media Server side.  You can accept this or not, but if you continue to try to work the issue from the WDTVs side you are going to get nowhere, because the WDTV has no control over what media it can access that is all on the Server side.  Either the Server allows access to the media or not, apparently because you can access videos and pictures but not music the server side is blocking access for music.

Also, as stated, if you want to solve the issue, quit trying to use UPnP/DLNA, and add your files to the media library as a SMB share.  UPnP/DLNA is unneccessary with the WDTV.

Tinwarble wrote:

WDTVLIVE_01 wrote:

I have already given you your answer, but no one is going to want to help you because you appear to take issue with any suggestions or when anyone asks a question.  Claiming that other users are ignoring your original question.

Again, if you can access your videos and pictures, but just not you music, then the issue is on you PC/Media Server side.  You can accept this or not, but if you continue to try to work the issue from the WDTVs side you are going to get nowhere, because the WDTV has no control over what media it can access that is all on the Server side.  Either the Server allows access to the media or not, apparently because you can access videos and pictures but not music the server side is blocking access for music.

Also, as stated, if you want to solve the issue, quit trying to use UPnP/DLNA, and add your files to the media library as a SMB share.  UPnP/DLNA is unneccessary with the WDTV.

As stated before, if you read any of my posts you would see that Network Shares gives the exact same issue as well.

Also, as stated before, the sharing/security for all 3 folders (Music, Video, Pictures) are exactly the same in my Win7.

So, no.  You have not given any solution.  All you said it to ignore it and try something else that has the same issue.

Want to try again?

And please stop with the insults.  It’s not doing your profile user any good.  In fact, it’s controbuting to your deliberate increase of/in entropy.

earler today you guys were making me laugh

now this is just sad

SMB vs DNLA

they are completely different

SMB has security features

DNLA does not

SMB allows WD to access files “WD is in control, as long as it passes security”

DNLA controls the WD

both SMB and DNLA may be implemented in win7 but they operate completely independantly

if you have a DNLA problem it’s a problem with the server, not the WD

the WD is a DNLA renderer, not a server, not a control point

it can only receive from a server or control point, but it has no inherent ability to access them

what you see on screen is the result of the DNLA server sending broadcast accross your LAN

just search the forum for some of my prior research and prior posts on this

I have yet to discover any DNLA/UPNP “problem” that was actually the WD’s fault

KAD79 wrote:

earler today you guys were making me laugh

now this is just sad

SMB vs DNLA

they are completely different

SMB has security features

DNLA does not

SMB allows WD to access files “WD is in control, as long as it passes security”

DNLA controls the WD

both SMB and DNLA may be implemented in win7 but they operate completely independantly

if you have a DNLA problem it’s a problem with the server, not the WD

the WD is a DNLA renderer, not a server, not a control point

it can only receive from a server or control point, but it has no inherent ability to access them

what you see on screen is the result of the DNLA server sending broadcast accross your LAN

just search the forum for some of my prior research and prior posts on this

I have yet to discover any DNLA/UPNP “problem” that was actually the WD’s fault

So the fact that  Media Shares (DNLA) and Network Shares (SMP) gives exactly the same issue is irrelevant to you?

What and where is the security features on Network Shares (SMP)?

WDTVLIVE_01 wrote:

As stated before, if you read any of my posts you would see that Network Shares gives the exact same issue as well.

That’s not what you stated:

"2.2  Windows Network Shares:  WDTVLive reads/plays Video, Picture and Music for PUBLIC files as expected.  "

If this is the case as you stated, then you don’t have issues with Network Shares.  You claim that no one is addressing your issues, but then double talk saying that you don’t have issues, then saying that you do have issues

WDTVLIVE_01 wrote:

So the fact that  Media Shares (DNLA) and Network Shares (SMP) gives exactly the same issue is irrelevant to you?

What and where is the security features on Network Shares (SMP)?

Again, which is it? 

You also stated:

“If it did then maybe I can live with the assertion that WDTVLive does not respect security via DNLA streaming .”

DLNA has no securtiy, so apparently you are confused about DLNA vs Windows shares (SMB).   DLNA is either turned on or off in Windows as were SMB can be share but only shared with specific users, DLNA has no such settings.

To share via DLNA/UPnP you have different settings then what Windows shares have.  Again, I explained in my 1st post to you what you need to check in Windows so that it will share your files over DLNA so that the SMP can access your files.  You apparently didn’t read nor acknowledge that, since these are different settings then what you would set for Windows shares (SMB).

Look at your PC, the problem is there…or don’t and keep going around in circles.