WDTV player loses connection to Media Source

Hi all,

I am new to WDTV and I have one issue that is baffling me.

My WDTV is connected via ethernet to my PC (Windows). It is connected to my TV via a Marantz receiver. It all works well, WDTV sees all my video file and plays them perfectly. But for some reason, my WDTV loses connection with my file source so that just about everytime I start up a new session with WDTV it tells me there is no external media source connected.

The way to resolve this seems to be to re-boot my PC. This is a real pain because it is at the other end of the house. I suspect because I have to reboot the PC, there is something going on in my PC that is causing this connection to be lost.

Has anyone come across this problem or a way to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

1. Are other devices able to access the network share when the WDTV isn’t able to?

2. Is the PC staying connected to the internet while you are watching? (is it possibly going to “sleep” and turning off it’s wifi/etc.)

3. Beyond that it could be something blocking the connection actively, like antivirus.

Check these elements out, then get back to us. This sounds like a simple-ish network issue, try it from another device first. I listed these in order of probability!

Thanks taurusrage,

taurusrage wrote:> 1. Are other devices able to access the network share when the WDTV isn’t able to?

Yes they are.

1. Is the PC staying connected to the internet while you are watching? (is it possibly going to “sleep” and turning off it’s wifi/etc.)

The PC is cabled broadband so as best I know it is continually connected to the Net. But my problem is not internet access, the WDTV is able to access the net, it is hard wired to my router. It just loses contact with files stored on my PC. It never loses this contact mid stream but for example - I watch a movie on Tuesday sourced from folders on my PC hard drive, I go to do the same on Wednesday (following the same path) and most likely it will come up " no media source". I reboot PC and it works again.   

1. Beyond that it could be something blocking the connection actively, like antivirus.

This is definately possible. I am guessing that because a PC reboot resolves the problem then it is something happening at my PC end, not the WDTV. I wondered if the is something I need to do on the PC to stop this happening.

Check these elements out, then get back to us. This sounds like a simple-ish network issue, try it from another device first. I listed these in order of probability!