WDTV Live

Hi,

I am disappointed with my purchase of the WDTV Live.

Of all the pre-programmed streaming websites, only Netflix and Tunein are worth mentioning. There is no decent news channel (only Euro news) and any of the music providers will only work if subscribe to them.

If you want to use a “cloud” storage facility you can only use CloudMe which is incredible expensive in comparison to other cloud storage providers.

Some movies I have downloaded do not show on the WDTV Live video screen, I do not know why. The oldfashiond HDMI cable has to come out of the cupboard to view the show from the laptop on the big screen.

Why are the tv ondemand channels not included, whether in NZ or elsewhere? Why is there no decent news channel included such as BBC world news or Al Jazeera?

Live tv can only wtched if you purchase a Hauppage tuner or a Slingbox which does not ork in NZ.

So my advice for what it is worth, keep your old HDMI cable handy, it works a dream all the time and you get a lot more choice using your laptop.

cheers

oldman 60

Sorry to hear you are unhappy with your purchase. Hopefully it will grow on you.

Before you bought the product, did you look at the list of streaming websites that you would get access to? Always a good pre-purchase move to make sure you are spending your $$ the right way. You can use the link below and see what is available in your region.

The product is not a Roku that is focused on online streaming sites. It is mostly a local media player that in addition has some streaming services. All of that information is available to buyers prior to purchase.

Online Services: All services

You can also find all the compatible video formats at the link below. The device will play many formats, but not all, and you need to be sure that the codec you are using is supported. If you are downloading random video from the net that you do not know how is encoded, you certainly risk that it is not within the bounds of what the device can play. Just because VLC can play it on your computer, does not mean it will work with your SMP. Everything I have ever encoded with Handbrake has worked perfectly with the product. Who knows how stuff you have downloaded has been made? People do some weird stuff, sometimes intentionally, but often not.

List of compatible media file types for all WD TV

I agree that there are always some things that require a computer and an HDMI cable to get what you want, I do it all the time, but all of the information that anyone needs to make a pre-purchase decision on the SMP is freely available.

A little due diligence goes a long way…

-P

oldman60 wrote:
I am disappointed with my purchase of the WDTV Live.

Live and learn. On the next time you’ll cerntainly check supported services prior purchase. BTW, I wasn’t aware HDMI cables are oldfashioned.