WDTV Live, suddenly forget the Media Share, cannot get it work again

Hello,

I’m trying to moderate myself as best as I can.

I got this peice of … this device two months ago. After 2!! days of terror, I somehow (I’ve no idea how) managed to get it to work. 

It worked well until today, when I had to disconnect it from the power source (it was not even turned on). It cannot find the network shares anymore. I did the reset. 

I did all thethings I tried last time and it does not work.

SERIOUSLY? I am so mad, I can’t even…

Ok… any tips?

Shut down your PC.

Pull the power plug on the WD.

Boot your PC.

Plug in the WDTV.

Tony’s right: this should narrow it down.

Secondly, are other devices able to see the shares? Is any password required? Are the default settings still applied in the device, or have you altered the sharing settings?

Narrow it down a bit and it will seem less frustrating, above all remember that the community will get you on track.

Expect the best: sometimes that’s what you get.

I’ve tried that and it didn’t work. But thanks anyway.

I’ve not altered anything, but I’ve just turned it on again and now it works. 

I do not understant the logic of this device.

And dead again.

We were watching a show, I’ve paused it for 10 minutes. When I came back, the network got disconnected and asked me if I want to selenct a new source. Since then, the WDTV cannot find any Windows shares.

I am this close to thow it in the garbage.

Does it make any sense to call support?

This is I think the same problem I am having. I don’t think the issue is with the WDTV…I resolve it by rebooting my computer -  a pain in the bum.

I read in another forum that there is a registry change you can do in Windows to fix this but it was too technical for me.

It works after I reboot my computer, but I cannot do that every single time. I mean seriously.

Can you link to that registry forum please?

Are you using the thing wirelessly or wired?

Many times problems like this are network-related, and not caused by a component (such as a WDTV)  the component is just as much a “victim” as you are.

Turn off your entire home network (starting with modem/router) logically and bring it all up again, logically.  If something is not “off” with a power button, then unplug it to be sure it is off!  Everything and anything that is part of, and connected to, the network needs to be restarted every once in a while, and perhaps this is one of those times.

The problem is that I’ve started to try out patterns, but it seems that it’s very random.

But now, everyt time I turn it off, the next day it won’t work, only after PC reboot, router reboot and repeat 10x, and maybe then… it will work. 

But if I pause it for more than 5 seconds, it will lose connection.

I need to be clear of what you mean when you say “media share”, because there is no such thing as a feature for the player with this name.  It is either called “Media servers” or Network shares"  Which one are you referring to?

Network shares is best to use rather than Media servers.  Too many problems are caused by WINDOWS when Media servers is used, plus it has a limited set of file types it can play.  Network shares plays them all.

Also, please answer my previous question:  Are using the gear wirelessly or wired?

Wireless, as wired is not an option.

It’s Windows Shares and not Media Player, sorry. 

Today we were not able to use it, because it failed to detect it. I rebooted, I restored fw, rebooted PC, router, all.

Any ideas?

Traxan wrote:

Wireless, as wired is not an option.

Today we were not able to use it, because it failed to detect it. I rebooted, I restored fw, rebooted PC, router, all.

Any ideas?

Yep. Sell it and get something that works, it’s what I have decided to do. I have spent 10x more time trying to get this thing to do what it is supposed to do than i have using it.

@Traxan  >>>  Wireless, as wired is not an option.

Wireless has its own sub-set of issues we can explore, but first to check other things.

Huh?  Are we talking about the same thing?  Let’s see, I am referring to the two ways from the WDTV menu to access media from the home network:  One is called Media servers , and the other is called Network shares.  Which one (or both) methods are you attempting to access your media from your home network to play via your WDTV?

@CLASHMAN   >>>   Yep. Sell it and get something that works, it’s what I have decided to do. I have spent 10x more time trying to get this thing to do what it is supposed to do than i have using it.

I saw your comment and wondered where did this come from, so I checked some of your previous messages, and it appears you got some help, but didn’t respond.  You likely have some network sharing issues that can be resolved, but you need to stay in the loop here when people help you.

So, check back here at your earlier post where I responded with some suggestions:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/Will-wdtv-live-populate-the-media-library-with-files-from-a/m-p/685145#M28686

Can you see the device in the WD Discovery application on your desktop?

Thank you for you patience.

I’m not using the Media Server, I’m using the Network Shares one.

ScottJ

First time I hear about this. Let me get it.

@Traxan

Good, Network shares is preferable to using Media servers access for a variety of reasons I won’t get into right now, because we need to get you up and running right now.  So, look into WD Discovery as mentioned, because that will get your WDTV drive shared on the network, then you need to know how to setup Network shares so you haven’t any problem.  See this link for a good way to do this:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/How-to-resolve-quot-Network-shares-quot-access-problems-with/td-p/671513.

Also, I am thinking that you have not spent much time looking through the complete user manual for your SMP  If a copy did not come with your SMP. you can download it here from the support page for the SMP.  You can also find the WD Discovery tool under Downloads:

http://support.wd.com/product/install.asp?groupid=1011&lang=en

1 Like

I did all you said. 

It semms to me that I may have found the problem: the screensaver. 

This problems only occurs after the screensaver activated. Since I turned it off, I do not lose the connection anymore! It might be possible, that every time the device goes into screensaver mode, it also goes on stan by, that messes up the connection?

Will test this and come back with details.