WDTV Live DTS-HD problem

Hello,

I have been using my WDTV Live SMP for a while now with an older receiver capable of only DTS and DD connected with an optical cable for audio.  This set up worked fine other than there was no HD sound from MKV files with DTS-MA tracks, I would just get DTS.  I’ve recently purchased a new Sony receiver (BDV-N5200W) that is Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD (HRA & MA) capable.  Now the new receiver is hooked up with an HDMI cable rather than the optical cable.  DD and DTS files play fine but anytime I play a DTS-HD there is no sound.  My receiver shows it’s getting 2 channel LPCM at 9.6 Mbps but I don’t think it’s getting that obviously.  I tried setting the audio output on the WDTV to Stereo and then I get 2 channel LCPM at a normal bitrate and I hear sound.  I don’t have an option to do optical anymore.

I know my receiver can do DTS-MA (well at least that’s what the documentation says, and blu-ray discs work fine showing DTS-HD).  Anyone have any idea as to why I’m not getting sound? I am running the latest firmware…2.02. I understand one of the recent firmware updates allow for DTS-HD passthrough.  I just don’t get it.

Thanks…

since BDV-N5200W is not really a true receiver and more of a Sony proprietary “home theater in the box”, they might be hyping DTS-HD/MA in the sales brochures but are limiting it only to Sony<->Sony connections or something ridiculous like that.

on WD sterio = WD decodes everything to 2 channel

on WD choose passthru via HDMI only, and will not decode and only passthrough the full DTS-MA audio

morbidz wrote:

since BDV-N5200W is not really a true receiver and more of a Sony proprietary “home theater in the box”, they might be hyping DTS-HD/MA in the sales brochures but are limiting it only to Sony<->Sony connections or something ridiculous like that.

I am afraid of that.  The only time so far I’ve seen DTS-MA work is with a blu-ray disc put into the built-in player.  I have a Panasonic blu-ray player I’m going to try hooking up tonight and see if I get the DTS-MA thru that.  I’m just going to disconnect the HDMI from the WDTV and plug it into the Panasonic.  If I get the MA through that then I’ll be reasonably certain it’s supported and there’s just something going on with my WDTV setup.  If not… well then the “receiver” is going back to the store…  I’m just trying to avoid that.

My old receiver was the same type of “home theater in a box” but it was a Samsung.  It worked great for me so I was hoping this Sony would be good too.

KAD79 wrote:

on WD choose passthru via HDMI only, and will not decode and only passthrough the full DTS-MA audio

I’ve tried passthru via HDMI and made sure all of the checkboxes were checked.  Strangely I have a checkbox for DTS, but not DTS-HD, but I do have a separate Dolby TrueHD checkbox.

In any event I only tried Stereo to see if I could get any sound at all.  Sure enough I can, abeit only stereo of course.

uwjosh wrote:

KAD79 wrote:

I’ve tried passthru via HDMI and made sure all of the checkboxes were checked.  Strangely I have a checkbox for DTS, but not DTS-HD, but I do have a separate Dolby TrueHD checkbox.

In any event I only tried Stereo to see if I could get any sound at all.  Sure enough I can, abeit only stereo of course.

so your receiver then can decode Dolby TrueHD but not DTS-MA

A quick check of the manual (English version) on page 76 indicates that DTS HD (any flavor) is NOT supported for HDMI inputs.

Only formats supported over HDMI are LPCM, Dolby Digital (including Plus and True HD), and DTS, DTS-ES or 96/24 (which are downmixed to DTS Core).

TonyPh12345 wrote:

A quick check of the manual (English version) on page 76 indicates that DTS HD (any flavor) is NOT supported for HDMI inputs.

Only formats supported over HDMI are LPCM, Dolby Digital (including Plus and True HD), and DTS, DTS-ES or 96/24 (which are downmixed to DTS Core).

You hit the nail on the head.  Interesting enough according to the paper manual I have it also doesn’t include the TrueHD… just DD.  Can’t believe I missed that chart.  **bleep** I was really hoping that wasn’t the case, now I have to pack this thing up and take it back.

Thanks so much I was really hitting my head on the wall on this one.

One other thing while I’m thinking about it… I hooked up my Panasonic blu-ray player and popped in a blu-ray that has DTS-HD on it but it plays the DTS track (the DTS core right?). Why do you think my WDTV isn’t working that way?  If I uncheck “DTS capable receiver” I get 2-channel stereo.  There is no “DTS-HD capable receiver” to check.  Is the only way to get the core DTS to use an optical cable?

Yeah that’s the problem they’ve introduced when they enabled DTS-HD passthru, if your hardware doesn’t decode it, the only option via HDMI is 2 channel stereo.

Pretty much any $200+ receiver has the ability to do the latest formats (dolby atmos excluded), so your best bet is to get a real receiver and not get locked into proprietary sony connections, input limitations.

I did just that last night… got a real receiver and sure enough it worked right away like a charm.  It’s too bad it came to that but better than a bug that might not get fixed.

Thanks a lot for the help.  I feel a little stupid for not catching that in the manual.