WDTV LS - Does It Play 3gp4 Videos?

Hi all,

I recently got a Samsung Galaxy S2 smartphone, but have found neither my (aged) desktop PC nor my (upgraded) Samsung NC10 netbook (both running Windows XP) will play any videos recorded with it. I normally use the VLC player (which has always played everything else fine on both computers) but have also tried WIndows Media Player, Quicktime, Realplayer and XBMC without any success - either very jumpy / glitchy or sort of spaced-out slow motion. I’m far from an expert on codecs etc but apparently the S2 creates H264 MPEG4 videos, which it would appear need quite a bit of power to process.

*EDIT* Have found the videos are actually 3gp4 (see posts below), so have amended thread subject accordingly

So my question is, can anyone CATEGORICALLY state that the newest (Gen3) WDTV Live Streaming Media Player can happily play video files created by  a Samsung Galaxy S2?

Just to clarify, I’ve looked at the specs and it would APPEAR from these that they will play ok, but ideally I would like to hear from someone who has proof i.e. has actually played video files from a SGS2 successfully on a WDTV Live Streaming / Gen 3.

Many thanks for any advice, apologies if this post sounds a bit demanding but I really would like to find out for definite if this unit can let me see my videos again (and without any messing about with codecs and the like!)

Cheers - Jos

I can’t say CATEGORICALLY however the WDTV player is designed to play high bit rate HD video so I assume it would play your videos. Your aging and low power PC and Netbook would struggle with HD as does my laptop. No doubt somebody will give you the assurance that you require.

Hi, thanks for that response - yes, I agree, I’m fairly sure it will play them but it would be nice to have it confirmed before buying.

After a pub conversation the other day, it would appear that H.264 is pretty much the standard for HD videos on all smartphones / tablets these days, so I’d be happy to hear from anyone who has copied & watched their smartphone or tablet HD videos via the WDTV LS, not just specifically Samsung Galaxy S2 owners.

Thanks - Jos.

Why dont you post a mediainfo readout of one of the video files taken from your phone. That would help in obtaining a definitive answer.

@Bohemus - is this any good?

I just downloaded Mediainfo, pointed it to one of the video files, exported results as text and copied / pasted here. As I said earlier, I know next to nothing about codecs and the like, but shouldn’t the Codec ID field be saying H.264?!? Having said that, it was only a VLC forum advisor that said they were H.264, so maybe they’re not?

Any help / advice appreciated…

General
Complete name                            : C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\PHOTOS\Misc\20120122_161616.mp4
Format                                   : MPEG-4
Format profile                           : 3GPP Media Release 4
Codec ID                                 : 3gp4
File size                                : 38.1 MiB
Duration                                 : 18s 761ms
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 17.0 Mbps

Video
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High@L4.0
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames                : 1 frame
Format settings, GOP                     : M=1, N=30
Muxing mode                              : Container profile=Unknown@22.4
Codec ID                                 : avc1
Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding
Duration                                 : 18s 752ms
Source duration                          : 18s 786ms
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 17.0 Mbps
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Variable
Frame rate                               : 30.023 fps
Minimum frame rate                       : 15.152 fps
Maximum frame rate                       : 34.483 fps
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.272
Stream size                              : 37.8 MiB (99%)
Source stream size                       : 37.9 MiB
Language                                 : English

Audio
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AAC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile                           : LC
Codec ID                                 : 40
Duration                                 : 18s 761ms
Source duration                          : 18s 778ms
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 61.6 Kbps
Maximum bit rate                         : 63.6 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 1 channel
Channel positions                        : Front: C
Sampling rate                            : 44.1 KHz
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 135 KiB (0%)
Source stream size                       : 135 KiB
Language                                 : English

It looks like the file would play. But why don’t you upload a short example, then someone could test it for you!

I would, but  I can’t see how to upload videos to a post, only images…? Do I need to upload one to youtube or something?!?

Thanks - Jos

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how to upload a video for someone to (hopefully) try on their WDTV Live Streaming, to see if it will play ok?

OR

Has anyone played videos from a Samsung Galaxy S2 on their WDTV Live Streaming?

Thanks…

Ok, I’ve uploaded a video taken on my Samsung Galaxy S2 to zShare, if someone could download it and see whether it plays on their WDTV Live Streaming or not, then I think we may have a resolution - one way or the other!

DOWNLOAD LINK: http://www.zshare.net/video/994288487d166b7b/
FILE NAME: 20120122_161938.mp4
FILE SIZE: ~50.72 megabytes

Cheers - Jos.

josninety wrote:

Ok, I’ve uploaded a video taken on my Samsung Galaxy S2 to zShare, if someone could download it and see whether it plays on their WDTV Live Streaming or not, then I think we may have a resolution - one way or the other!

DOWNLOAD LINK: http://www.zshare.net/video/994288487d166b7b/
FILE NAME: 20120122_161938.mp4
FILE SIZE: ~50.72 megabytes

Cheers - Jos.

I downloaded your file and played it OK from an attached flash drive. Obviously I don’t if it will stutter or stop with a longer file but I had no problems with playing that short length.

To show that I watched it, I note that you were at the east end of Heathrow airport in Steam Farm Lane.

That’s great, thank you very much, and thank you to all who contributed - got there in the end! So we can categorically state that (short) Samsung Galaxy S2 videos will play on a WDTV LS, although I can’t see why longer ones would be any different (unless streaming with wifi?)

So it looks like I’ll have to go & buy one now, as that is a final tick to complete most of my (undemanding) boxes.

One last unrelated question, I’ve picked up elsewhere that for Spotify to work you need an account - but does this have to be a paid ‘Premium’ account, or would a free / advert-driven account (which I have) work too?

@RichUK - just out of curiosity, did you know the location from sight, or was there some location info in the file? I didn’t think the SGS2 recorded location info unless the GPS was on, which I didn’t think it was…?

Cheers - Jos.

josninety wrote:

That’s great, thank you very much, and thank you to all who contributed - got there in the end! So we can categorically state that (short) Samsung Galaxy S2 videos will play on a WDTV LS, although I can’t see why longer ones would be any different (unless streaming with wifi?)

So it looks like I’ll have to go & buy one now, as that is a final tick to complete most of my (undemanding) boxes.

One last unrelated question, I’ve picked up elsewhere that for Spotify to work you need an account - but does this have to be a paid ‘Premium’ account, or would a free / advert-driven account (which I have) work too?

@RichUK - just out of curiosity, did you know the location from sight, or was there some location info in the file? I didn’t think the SGS2 recorded location info unless the GPS was on, which I didn’t think it was…?

Cheers - Jos.

You need a paid spotify account.

I was being a bit cocky with the location. I assumed that it was heathrow and googled TSA heathrow. (TSA is on the building in your video). That gave me the postcode etc. I assume that you filmed it on Sunday 22nd January 2102 at 4.19pm but thats all the file shows.

And just for entertainment value, here’s the WD Support response:

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support. [deleted]
You can view the supported codecs and file types in the manual under Appendix (page 209): http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705062.pdf
From what I can see the 3gp4 is not supported so I can not guarantee it will work or not. Codecs outside the supported list are not verified, but might work… although we can not guarantee they will.

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.

Very helpful - so they can categorically state that they may, or may not, work…!

josninety wrote:

And just for entertainment value, here’s the WD Support response:

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support. [deleted]
You can view the supported codecs and file types in the manual under Appendix (page 209): http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705062.pdf
From what I can see the 3gp4 is not supported so I can not guarantee it will work or not. Codecs outside the supported list are not verified, but might work… although we can not guarantee they will.

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.

Very helpful - so they can categorically state that they may, or may not, work…!

Normally, I pull these posts for violation of privacy.  You are not supposed to be posting emails from Tech Support, and it categorically states that on the email, and in our usage guidelines.  However, I’m leaving this because what the agent said is correct - no matter how much you want to make light of it. 

And, by the way, our Tech Support will ONLY support a product in accordance with its specifications.  Once outside those specifications we can’t provide support.  Anyone who works for any technology company knows this.  That’s why this community is so valuable to you, as a user.  Here, you’re not limited by the device specs to try and help one another.  And frankly, that’s all Rich did for you, was prove that the file could work under certain conditions.  So he confirmed what the agent actually told you.

I’m sorry if I’m coming off a bit harsh.  These allergies are kicking my butt.