WD TV live - Web browser?

Is there any possibility to have a web browser in WD TV live?

Firmware etc?

There is a hidden browser.

Go to Settings >  About, then press the search button on the remote.

Use USB keyboard / mouse

2 Likes

I have mine hard wired using a powerline connection.

First, it is slow, so be patient when waiting for websites to load and when trying to scroll.
Web browser does NOT support Flash, Java, or downloading so some sites will not work properly or load at all. This means VIDEO AND AUDIO MAY NOT WORK on the sites.
Ctrl+Alt+Del - Restarts WDTV Live
GIFs seems to work (browsed the site 1loop.com)
FACEBOOK WORKS! and appears to show the desktop (computer) version.

Sites that work:

CNN.com (cause major lag and freezing)

Yahoo.com (redirects to the mobile version)

I will update my findings as I continue to test the browser out.

Songza works as well, though can be glitchy when the ads pop up

Hi,

is it possible to close single web page openen in a web browser on WD Tv Live?

I want to open some Croatian video pages, but adds pop up and I can’t close them.

I would deeply apreciate any suggestion

Merry X-mas to all!

Any chance that flash player may get supported at some time?

willieneal wrote:

Any chance that flash player may get supported at some time?

probably not,

I spent a little time looking into it.

libIStagecraft.so does exist in firmware, but will not load into browser

error message at cmd line

I also wouldn’t expect WD to add it, since what we’ve heard from WD regarding the browser

is that it’s a hidden and for testing purposes only

it was never intended for end-users to use it

I can’t believe I’ve only just found out about this little easter egg! Thanks RichUK for sharing. :wink:

I discovered that I could not play ‘Flash’ based movies however a search of HTML movies yielded some quite good results. Free adult prawn sites seem quite plentiful which is always a bonus if you know what I mean :laughing: Likewise viewing several quite long clips of film did not present any problems to my device which seemed to handle everything I threw at it albeit one or two pop-up adds got in the way. I found navigation much easier using my mini palm keyboard and text input was nice and quick as was page loading.

Personally speaking I find the inclusion of a web browser (hidden or not) to be a very useful and welcome addition to my WD TV Live. If only WD could make one or two more improvements to this browser and ditch the other pointless bloatware on this device.

I tried the instructions below to activate the browser.  Nothing happened.

I have Model: C3H

I saw some other posts about re-flashing the frimware.  I’d rather not do that if there is a possibilty of a browser built in.

‎09-17-2013 04:36 AM

There is a hidden browser.

Go to Settings >  About, then press the search button on the remote.

Use USB keyboard / mouse

lofquist wrote:

I tried the instructions below to activate the browser.  Nothing happened.

I have Model: C3H

C3H ??

The hidden web browser is only available for the WDTV Live Streaming (SMP) and the WDTV Live Hub  (later firmwares)

WDTV Live Streaming (SMP)

Model Numbers:

WDBHG70000NBK

WDBGXT0000NBK

WDTV Live Hub (must be running firmware 3.XX.XX)

When I go to use the browser in mine, it comes up fine, but when you google something there is no scroll bar anywhere? Is it only me? Or isn’t there one? Coz that’s disappointing.

It was only an “Experimental” browser

(which WD did’nt advertise, it was “discovered” by accident by a forum member)

So, it doesent surprise me that it’s not fully functional or practical

I guess, if you want a web browser on your big TV 
 the miracast feature on the latest firmware with a miracast compatible device works pretty good.  (i’ve used my android tablet and WDTV to surf the net 
 works well)

any way to make the videos go full screen? i click the fullscreen icon on the video player nothing happens.

What part of  “Experimental” and  “not fully functional” did’nt you understand ?

if the fullscreen icon does’nt work 
 then it does’nt work

I use StreamingVideoProvider and could really recommend them. I host with them all my pre-recorded videos, and publish them on my website to run as a LIVE WEB TV. They have many advantages as a streaming company like highly secured streaming, Pay-Per-View system with no commission on sales, really good IP White / Black listing feature, as well as Geo Restrictions and Domain Restrictions. This is at least what I use with them for selling my tutorials. You can check them:

http://www.streamingvideoprovider.com/webtv-scheduler.html

Hi there I m using WD C3h also when I opened the google is open without problem but if I want to search for something information it can’t search its just stop at google why ? Please can someone help me please

Hi there for me it work everything but I have a problem when It come to google it can open google page but when I want to search nothing work