WD TV does not see Plex Media Server using DLNA

I am running Plex Media Server with DLNA turned on. My WD TV player cannot see the Plex server when I select Media Servers as the content source. Does anyone know why? I downloaded media:connect DLNA client on my iPad and it my plex server appears there and I can browse and play content yet the WD TV player doesn’t even show the Plex server. How can I fix this? Thanks!

Try resetting your PC, Router and restore the WDTV factory defaults. 

I have the same problem and I try to follow the steps you indicated.

Nothing happens. I still can’t see all the DLNA server over my network

My unit after the latest upgrade does not see any DLNA server in my network, either PLEX or UMS.

The UMS java front end on my computer is reporting the presence of the WDTV live unit correctly, but not the other way.

Please, fix it ASAP!!!

If you are running Plex, sell the WDTV on ebay and get a Roku 3.  You will never look back.

dcb917 wrote:

If you are running Plex, sell the WDTV on ebay and get a Roku 3.  You will never look back.

Hardly.  The Roku doesn’t even support internal transcoding of AAC 5.1 to stereo… it just spits out: Nothing.  Its a media device with broken codec support.  If you are running your Plex server on a Synology or other NAS device under $500 the Roku is broken when it comes to AAC 5.1.

While the WDTV doesn’t support transcoding of AAC 5.1 to LPCM 5.1 as it should, at the very least you get stereo 2.0 out of AAC 5.1 tracks.  And, as we all know, the WDTV has far better codec support in many other areas.

I had to return my Roku and am pretty happy with my WDTV (and custom firmware).

Don’t confuse dcb917 with facts. Instead of just heeding his own advice and move on, he’s made it his mission to turn people away from WD until moderators will finally put an end to this bickering. Can’t be too long now.

Elrondolio wrote:

dcb917 wrote:

Hardly.  The Roku doesn’t even support internal transcoding of AAC 5.1 to stereo… it just spits out: Nothing.  Its a media device with broken codec support.  If you are running your Plex server on a Synology or other NAS device under $500 the Roku is broken when it comes to AAC 5.1.

While the WDTV doesn’t support transcoding of AAC 5.1 to LPCM 5.1 as it should, at the very least you get stereo 2.0 out of AAC 5.1 tracks.  And, as we all know, the WDTV has far better codec support in many other areas.

I had to return my Roku and am pretty happy with my WDTV (and custom firmware).

What custom firmware are you using on the WDTV?  I’ve had all kinds of problems and am looking for options.

I restored the WDTV to defaults and reset the Plex server and router and still nothing. The Plex DLNA server shows on my PS3 and on my iPad DLNA app, just not on the WDTV. Argh!