WD TV connecting wirelessly but not wired

Hi,

New to the forum.

I have just got a WD TV Live media player, about 4 days ago, and been trying to connect it to a Netgear Readynas.

The system is set up with a Virgin Media super Hub connected to a Netgear GS105 switch with one of the feeds going to a Belkin wireless router which is located in the room where my WD TV is located. The nas is located next to the GS105 and hard wired to it.

I have tried to connect to the nas thro the WD TV using the wired connection but with no success, so tonight I tried using it wirelessly and it worked.

The question is why will the media player work wirelessly but not wired?

I have tried the WD help thro email but the answer I got:-

Does the NAS have any Media Server inside? I guess it does not, so you need to access it as Network Share, not as Media Server, as you can see in manual, page 26: http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705062.pdf

Also, please, make sure, that all your devices are in the same Workgroup.

Disabling firewall and antivirus on your computer might help to find the problem too.

Which is not much help.

Would any of you knowledgeable folks be able to help?

What is it you don’t understand from what support told you?

Is it this:   you need to access it as Network Share, not as Media Server,

I don’t understand why the media player works when connected wirelessly but not when it is hard wired.

I was just frustrated about the answer from WD which didn’t answer the above question.

Plus the media player will access the internet when hard wired.

Well, you did not answer my questions, and your questions are just not precise enough to answer, for example, what do you mean by “it works” or it “doesn’t work”.  And, what wires are connected to what, USB, ethernet?. 

Insuranceman wrote:

I don’t understand why the media player works when connected wirelessly but not when it is hard wired.

I would say there are three likely reasons: (1) your SMP is defective, (2) some of your network gear is defective, or (3) your network is improperly setup for the purposes you are trying to use it for.

As already noted, you haven’t provided enough information to say much more or to help you devise a plan to debug.

I am having the same problem.  I made a post last week but never got any answers.  I tried inputting all the same numbers as the wireless settings but still doesn’t work.  Hope someone can figure this out.  I am not using any network shares or anything.  Just connecting to the WMP on my computer.  It did work at one point but that has been a while back.

ranger6805 wrote:

I am having the same problem.  I made a post last week but never got any answers.

Sure you did.  KAD79 answered you.

Ok.  Sorry.  I mean one that helped resolve the issue.

@ranger6805 , all you did was ask if somebody had seen the problem, no, and you did not post enough info to even begin to troubleshoot the issue

also for that matter, even the other poster above, while he’s provided some more info

it’s still not enough to try and find a resolution

let me give example

WD - ethernet plugged into switch - ethernet from switch to router - I access my media via windows network shares

the WD does not connect to network

or WD does not connect to internet

or …

WD - wireless conntion to router - I access my media via windows network shares

WD is able to connect to network

or WD is able to connect to internet

neither this thread or the other gives enough details to even understand your set up

be specific, and we’ll try to find a solution

ranger6805 wrote:

I am having the same problem.  I made a post last week but never got any answers.  I tried inputting all the same numbers as the wireless settings but still doesn’t work.   Hope someone can figure this out.  I am not using any network shares or anything.  Just connecting to the WMP on my computer.  It did work at one point but that has been a while back.

Well that is not a good idea if your wireless is still enabled then you can create an address conflict.  How many devices do you have? 5? 10? If you dont know what the IPs are for all you devices the just open a command prompt in windows and use “ping” to find an available IP.  While you have a command prompt you might also do an “ipconfig /all” make sure of the gateway and DNS server IPs.

This is my setup i too have a netgear router dgn2200 on win 7 i use wired config that is ethernet attached to back of wdtv smp and connected to the router.and another ethernet cord mines 5 metres long from router to ethernet port on my laptop.i check the network folder in my windows tab on my laptop i check to see if wdtv is in the folder under computer and media devices there are two references to my media player in the network folder, if you cannot see the devices in that folder then you are not getting any network connection from the wdtv smp.

Try this go to network settings in wdtv smp then 1st option then wired then automatic then when all is done check network folder and see if the wdtv has been recognised this setup works for me anyways hope this helps