WD TV Live smp, Setting-up

I have a WD TV Live smp, with a 4TB USB drive, connected to a TV via HDMI.  

The 4TB drive is split into two partitions, Movies and TV_Shows.  All media has been converted into m4v format, and contains cover art and metadata from IMDB and TVDB embedded into each file (via iDentify).

However, I cannot ‘see’ the art and metadata when viewing over the WD unit.

From reading various forums, I believe the problem may be that I need to be connected to the internet in order for the WD unit to download the metadata, and write it’s own data file.  It doesn’t read the metadata embedded on the m4v files.

Problem is, I work on an oil refinery in Kazakhstan, and although the accomodation blocks now have wifi (FINALLY!), I cannot seem to logon through the WD unit.

The WD unit can see the network, but there doesn’t appear to be any way that I can actually get onto it.

I go to Network Settings/Network Setup/ and select ‘Wireless’.  It detects the wireless network available, and I select ‘Automatic’.  It tells me that Network Setup is complete.  However, it’s not.

Wifi here is accessed by purchasing an access card.  The card has a serial number, and an access code under a scratch panel.

When I logon with my laptop, the browser goes straight to the network providors site, where I am asked to input the serial number on the card, and the access code.  It then works, flawlessly.  That is not happening with the WD unit, and because there is no browser, there doesn’t appear to be any way that I can input a serial number and access code for network authentication.

Can somebody please give me some advice on how to access the wifi network.

ALSO, when viewing the media in ‘Videos’, it shows all media together.  Movies and TV Shows are all lumped in together, and the TV Shows come up as hundreds of individual files.  It does not appear to split the media into seperate Movie and TV Show streams, nor does it show the TV Shows in Show/Series/Episode format, as saved on the USB drive.  

The only way I can view it in the way I wish is to use the ‘Files’ method instead of ‘Videos’, but then I wouldn’t get the metadata…if I could access the internet.

Any help with this would also be much appreciated.

Apologies for the long post.

Steve

harrissjt wrote:

Wifi here is accessed by purchasing an access card.  The card has a serial number, and an access code under a scratch panel.

There is a hidden browser – search the forum for info on how to access it.   You will need a compatible USB keyboard, and possibly a mouse.

Cheers Tony, I tried as suggested, and the browser login window appeared.  I’ll bring a mouse back to my room tomorrow and try again.

As for my second issue.  Well, I reset the device settings, and it seems to work fine now. I go into ‘Videos’, and there are two seperate icons for Movies and TV_Shows.  Perfect.

Roll on tomorrow…

Still wondering why you use 2 partitions instead of 2 folders to separate movies from TV shows.