WD TV Live shows welcome screen, but freezes - responds to power off

Dear all,

I have my WD TV live 3rd gen for a week now. It worked ok. However, I had to unplug the powercord occasionally to make the player respond to the remote (get it out of slumber-mode). Unfortunately, now it stopped responding. 

If I power it on the power light turns on and after a second the WD TV Live welcome screen appears. Usually it would then go on showing ‘connnecting to network’ (or something similar). However, it just freezes at this location. The screen remains at the welcome screen. The funny thing is that the player still responds to the remote control (I can switch it of and back on again).

I tried the following: 

1. reset button at the bottom, but to no avail. It does not seem to do anything. The screen just remains at the welcome screen and it does not reboot.

2. unplugging the power cord and reinserting it. Same still happens.

3. Starting without network cable inserted. nothing 

4. Inserted USB drive with firmware, but nothing happens (wdtvlivegen3_2.01.86)

Set up: 

• Ethernet connection (so not wireless) and it seems active (green light is blinking). 

• Powerline adaptor devolo

• HDMI connected to TV

Any word of advice on how to solve this? 

Thanks

Anyone able to provide some help on the above? I am considering switching to an apple TV product even though it is limited in its streaming capability, at least it (probably) works.