WD TV Live not recognising portable hard drives

I am not going to recomment a hub; mainly because just a week ago I put a new powered hub on the WD and could not get it to run with two POWERED drives on it.

A light does not indicate spinning, only that power is present.  When you put your portable drives on, LISTEN to each drive; does it spin up and run smoothly, or does it sort of go “chug-chug” like it can’t get spinning and can’t get up to speed?  (That’s the sound of a power issue).  Also, afterward, put both drives on a Win PC and let the OS scan the drives for errors.

I have had portable drives on WD, and they worked fine and did not need additional power, but some older ones do.  It is important to me that drives on my WD spin down and go idle if not used within 5-10 mins.  I leave the WD on 24/7 but do not want drives spinning needlessly the whole time.  Modern drives with their own power supplies mostly do this, and most of the newest portables do, too.  Even though the WD takes USB2 drives, all new drive models today are USB3, but not a problem, because they also work fine at USB2 – just not as fast, that way of course.  My WD has two 3.5" drives attached in their own enclosures w/power supply for each one.  They hide behind the large TV.